Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone found a factory load in 45 lc that would work well on deer and pigs at close range, yet safe in a 1913 vintage New Service? I have only shot cowboy loads in this gun.

It seems to me the gun factories, or some other reputable source (like General Hatcher) would/should pressure test and publish safe pressure limits for commercial models. Also, when I'm looking for a safe load, I'm basically just looking at velocity, though I suspect there's more to it than that. If so, why doesn't the box of ammo have a label that says, this load generates xxxx psi, so an ignorant consumer such as myself can make a more informed decision?

·
Registered
598 Posts
It seems to me the gun factories, or some other reputable source (like General Hatcher) would/should pressure test and publish safe pressure limits for commercial models. Also, when I'm looking for a safe load, I'm basically just looking at velocity, though I suspect there's more to it than that. If so, why doesn't the box of ammo have a label that says, this load generates xxxx psi, so an ignorant consumer such as myself can make a more informed decision?
All modern ammo is loaded to a pressure not to exceed a safe limit as determined by an independent association (SAAMI). for 45 Colt that limit is 13,000 psi. Now that you know that all current ammo generates 13,000 psi do you know what your revolver was rated for?

·
Registered
9 Posts
The standard 45 Colt load, 255s NOT in Cowboy packaging, are nothing to sneeze at. That's @900 f/s, and is the old Service load. Before the 357 Magnum/ 38-44, the 255gr 45 Colt was the most powerful handgun money could buy.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
no, i don't know what pressures the gun was designed to handle. i just looked through midways entire selection of 45lc load and i still don't see a load option that has a hunting bullet at moderate velocities. still needing a better understanding on this.

·
Registered
57 Posts
A standard 250 grain bullet at 900 FPS in the .45 Colt kills deer quite effectively at woods ranges, assuming you put the bullet in the right place.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts