Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone hunts with thier revolver. Been thinking about it just for Whitetail hunting in the back forty. Would you take your Anaconda out but since they are on the rise in value would you risk it? Or be better saving that for the range only and get a second pistol for hunting like a Ruger or a S&W. If you do hunt what loads do you use, I dont reload but maybe I should start

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Yep. I really like hunting with a handgun. Much more relaxing to me to be able to slip through the woods without the weight or bulk of a rifle. I routinely hunt with a Texas Longhorn Arms revolver, which is far rarer and (at least for now) more valuable than most Snake guns. Don't see why you shouldn't hunt with an Anaconda. Bag a deer with it. Then bag one with a Ruger or a S&W - be an equal opportunity hunter. I have a goal to bag a deer with each of my using revolvers, but don't get to hunt as much as I'd like. So, I expect it to take a while. :)

·
Premium Member
12,780 Posts
When I lived in Texas I hunted with a handgun and also used a sidearm to back up my rifle. I had a 'shooter grade' Python that came with me for many deer hunting trips. I've also used Thompson Center Contenders and Remington XP-100's. They were more accurate at greater distances than my revolvers were but a lot heavier to tote around. Personally, I'd use nothing less than .357 mag but if you're relatively proficient with a .44 mag the Anaconda could be ideal.

·
Premium Member
6,468 Posts
Grab that Colt and head out for the woods this fall Deer Season. I have killed a bunch of deer with my S&W 629. Most were killed with plain old 240gr Jacketed Hollowpoints. Hope you have Good hunting.

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
I bought my first Python in "76" - This went on a Boar hunt in Tennessee and as a side arm on many hunts out in Wyo and Montana. I plan on using one of my Anacondas this upcoming season. I have also used a Ruger Super BlackHawk in .44mag. A friend of mine has an Anaconda in RealTree camo with the scope. He used it to take a number of deer, but put it away after he saw what they were selling for. In my opinion, he'd already used it - so it's a waste to hide it away.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
I've taken a few deer with a revolver over the years, most recently in January of this year when I took a doe with a Smith & Wesson Model 57. Have also used a Smith & Wesson Model 29 to take a couple, and a couple more were taken with .38 Special revolvers.

·
Registered
16 Posts
A few people I was reading about using something like the SW 460 with bipod, scope, and sling. Begs the question... Why not use a rifle? It is always easier to carry a smaller firearm I suppose. Just not going to get as much range and guess it will depend on what your shooting. This guy was hunting prairie dogs. I can see how that works well and might be fun.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
I see no reason to avoid using your Anaconda for hunting. I use a S&W 44 only because I don't have an Anaconda. Unless you leave it in a river or something like that you won"t hurt it if you keep it oiled and cleaned and not bouncing around in some vehicle. The above post talking about the freedom to walk easily without a rifle is really the ticket, "slip through the woods" as stated by cubrock.

·
Registered
144 Posts
i am in the same position as the op. i've been thinking about getting into handgun hunting. i have a 6" 44 anaconda but not sure if i want to shoot it. its in excellent condition and i've never shot it. i bought a xp-100r in 260 rem last year but never made it out with it. i really should take up bow hunting, but hate to spend money on a bow when the same cash could buy another revolver. i've been thinking about a super blackhawk 44. i know a 44 mag is plenty of gun, but i've seen some used 460 and 500 smiths bring in the $800 range and thought about going that way too. a local shop has a model 29 silhouette for sale, but it seems overpriced at $850 for 80% condition.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
If you do hunt what loads do you use, I dont reload but maybe I should start

Yes, everyone should reload. You don't need a fancy rig like mine though, you can start with a simple kit.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Take that baby out. Man, I just got into pistol hunting after decades of using rifles. It is a blast and it's actually (being serious here) LIBERATING walking around hands free. That Anaconda will kill everything (literally) in the U.S. and most other countries too. My first Anaconda had an ammo malfuntion and Colt has it now, but I loved hunting with it so much that I picked up another so I could continue hog hunting until deer season. I HIGHLY recommend Hornady .44 Lever Evolution ammo for hunting. You extend your range quite a bit with it. As far as its value- just don't beat it up. I bought a Bianchi Accumold holster just for hunts, it' keeps the whole gun covered up except for the grip- which is a Hogue Monogrip ($20 and saves the originals from briar patches).

·
Registered
58 Posts
By "extends your range", I mean effective range. Just thought I'd add that before someone kicks me in the shins.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have killed a doe with my Ruger service six 357 she walked under the stand and it would have been an awkward shot with a rifle so I pulled old reliable and she went right down,and I have thought about handgun hunting since that doe but havent done it yet.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I hunted deer with a Dan Wesson .44 Mag and a M29-2 S&W for a good many years. I got a 6" Anaconda in the early 90's and used that several times but I shot better with the 8" barrel on my DW so I used that one the most. I used a nylon vertical shoulder holster to carry these revolvers under my hunting coat and it protected them very well in wet weather. I hunted in the mountains with thick vines and brush so having the ability to have my hands free and not having to carry the bulk and weight of a scoped rifle was helpful. You have to get in plenty of practice and keep ranges close enough to make good shots under less than ideal conditions. I found it to be more like bow hunting than hunting with a rifle in that respect. As long as you take proper care of it and its not being kept as a "safe queen" for maximum resale value, I see no reason not to hunt with it.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I've used a 5 inch barreled S&W 629 Classic successfully on whitetails. The load I used was a near max. of win 296 behind a Hornady 240 grain xtp. It was deadly on deer.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I've used a 5 inch barreled S&W 629 Classic successfully on whitetails. The load I used was a near max. of win 296 behind a Hornady 240 grain xtp. It was deadly on deer.

For some reason I'm double posting today. Sorry.

·
Registered
92 Posts
First a Big Thanks to Elmer Keith the godfather of handgun hunting he pushed the limits for sure and made it what it is today. Remember he has takin every north american game with a 357mag, 41mag and 44mag.

I just purchased a ruger super blackhawk in 44mag with a 10 1/2'' barrel for handgun hunting. I picked up some 270gr and 300gr bullet to load up too. Bill

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I have killed a doe with my Ruger service six 357 she walked under the stand and it would have been an awkward shot with a rifle so I pulled old reliable and she went right down,and I have thought about handgun hunting since that doe but havent done it yet.
I sure wish Ohio would allow me to carry 2 firearms to hunt deer...I usually go after deer #1 of the season with a muzzleloader, then deer #2 with a Ruger Flattop Blackhawk. Only problem is I wind up getting close shots with the muzzleloader, then after that the only deer I see are 75 yards or farher out.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Talking about handgun hunting, all the talk seems to be about big game. Don't neglect small game for a lot of satisfaction too. I have posted this here before but this seems a good place to repost it. 1851 Navy 3rd gen:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts