Colt Forum banner

Husqvarna 1907- what caliber.

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  SerHammerless 
#1 ·
I found this big brother to the Model M in a shop today marked $500. Seemed awfully low for a price. I mentioned that it was an interesting piece but that finding ammo would probably be nearly impossible, assuming it's 9x20 or 9mm Browning Long (or whatever). The guy behind the counter insisted that the early ones (from FN?) were that caliber but that the Husqvarnas were .380 ACP. I thought the .380 models had been converted.
What do the experts say?

#2 ·
The Model 1907's that were converted to .380 by inserting a spacer sleeve in the chamber were all marked with a .380 stamp usually on the left side of the frame above the trigger guard. The conversions were done by US importers in the 1960's. Many will also be refinished in gray Parkerizing.
Original 9mm Browning Long barrels occasionally show up on ebay and people have reported that they only required minor fitting. I don't know if judicious application of heat could be used to remove a .380 insert but if so it would probably be worth restoring to the original chambering as I understand that the .380's have questionable reliability.

PPU is now making ammo. If the gun in the shop is in nice shape and still in 9mm Browning Long I would buy it for $500.

#5 ·
Some years back a local shop had one of the original FN manufactured versions. It was in overall nice shape except the top of the slide which looked like it had had some rust damage and someone took sandpaper to it and some cold blue.
They wanted something like $1000 for it. If it had been half that price I would have bought it and attempted to refinish the slide by doing a home rust blue job. The rest of the gun sure was attractive in blue finish, many of the Swedish produced guns were sandblasted and Parkerized sometime late in their service life or by the importers.

#9 ·
A year late but I’m also here looking for more information on this barrel conversion.

I got some 9x20 Browning Long, and I thought it would slip into my converted M/07 380 barrel but just not fully seat. But it’s too large.

I thought the conversion involved just a ring at the end to shorten the chamber, but then I also thought that 380 and 9x20 were the same case diameter. Anyway I took some kind of bad pics, I can try to take better ones in the light.

Automotive tire Finger Wood Household hardware Thumb