Colt Forum banner
  • Have you found any great Black Friday deal!? Share them in this post HERE for a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some "expert" looked at my 1911 Colt .38 Super and said that I had a "Gov't" lower for a .45 ACP manufactured in 1913, mated to a .38 Super upper. I am no expert, so I do not know if this even possible. I would have thought the mag well would need to be resized, along with the receiver, and the upper and lower are really tight...and the pistol shoots great.

What gives? Is it possible Colt would have cobbled together the parts to make this pistol? Anyone?

·
Registered
11,796 Posts
The Colt Super .38 did not have a serial number prefix like the Government Model with a C prefix. The serial number range for the Model 1911 in 1913 was 17251 to 60400, and did not have a prefix, but did have UNITED STATES PROPERTY on it. If your Super .38 serial number falls into this serial number range, your "expert" probably thinks that it is a Model 1911 serial number.

Out of curiosity, what is the serial number range of your Super .38?

·
Premium Member
9,748 Posts
I believe the frame feed ramp on a .45 caliber pistol is different from the feed ramp on a .38 caliber pistol. (I am not going to take time to go down to the vault room to verify that issue for this discussion.) The ejector is also different between the two calibers.

I believe JohnnyP has offered the likely explanation for the "expert's" mistake.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I believe the frame feed ramp on a .45 caliber pistol is different from the feed ramp on a .38 caliber pistol. (I am not going to take time to go down to the vault room to verify that issue for this discussion.) The ejector is also different between the two calibers.

I believe JohnnyP has offered the likely explanation for the "expert's" mistake.
Agree. The O P states "the pistol shoots great"; which is a bit unlikely with a .45 frame feed ramp, and ejector, and JohnnyP knows his "stuff".

·
Registered
1,034 Posts

You are correct Judge. No need to even check for curiosity next time you are in the vault.

If the frame ramps then are like those of today, the 45 frame ramp on a Colt frame is cut at an angle that is less steep but deeper and wider than a Colt 38 super frame ramp. The .38 super frame ramp has a steeper angle, and is cut less deep and more narrow.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts