Colt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have heard about these. But, I had never actually seen one.

Immediately after WWII, S&W resumed production of firearms for the commercial market. During a brief period, they were using up their remaining stock of “Victory” model parts for civilian M&P revolvers. These were serialized in the “SV” serial number range.
I have two blued examples that were shipped in March & April 1946 as seems to be the case with every “SV” I’ve ever seen.
I have read about an extremely small number ( 86 to be exact) that were produced in a special order for nickled guns.
As stated above, I never figured I would find one. This popped up in an online auction! I’ll be lettering it for sure!!
The marking of “N” indicating a factory nickle finish is correct on this gun on the barrel flat near the serial number and on the grip frame.
Best,
Charles

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,494 Posts
As I'm sure you've heard, "Oh Charles, what its it this time???" :D

·
Premium Member
6,326 Posts
Nice Charles. I like it !! Again thanks for sharing your new acquisition with us all. And not a shotgun. 😉

·
Registered
272 Posts
First of all nice smith I got the bug for the long action fish hook hammer smith's last year. Pretty bad I love the M&P 38 revolvers. I'm looking for ones in 38-200, 32 wcf or 32-20, 32 s&w, 38 s&w. Really all calibers and barrel legnth ls they produced from the first production in 1899-1957 the year the heavy barrel was introduced. In all finishes nickel, bleued etc I really like these things.

I have been looking for one of those exact post war. I gave my father a 6 inch 38 special produced between 1945-48 for fathers day. I acquired a sub 400k serial number m&p 38 this year. A 4 inch 38 special that's well used but shoots great. The 4 inch is going on 100 years old best guess 1922-1926. The 6 inch is a 85 percent finish I'd say.

I perfer a 4 inch or shorter barrel personally in a 38 special revolver the balance is just perfect on 4 inch 38's. I'll attach a few pictures of my 4 and my father's 6 inch smith's. Hope you havea great day.
White Luggage and bags Bag Pattern Walking shoe

Attachments

Reactions: cda926
1 - 11 of 11 Posts