Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
"Updated with pics Post #8"

Good morning, Hope you all can help me with a revolver I just received from my Father in Law. He has had it approximately 40 years. It is a colt officers model match 38 special in pristine condition, I do not think it was ever fired. Bluing is perfect and not a sign of wear on any part including the grips with silver medallions. The serial number is 934920, which is where the confusion lies. I also saw that colt merged trooper and officers model serial numbers in the late 60's...............Colt look up says 3 guns with that serial number; a 1911 and the following. Thank you for any insight or info you can provide.

POLICE POSITIVE SPECIAL & DETECTIVE SPECIAL

POLICE POSITIVE SPECIAL & DETECTIVE SPECIAL

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Interesting that it does not come up. The years are in the right range. The officers model match was made from 1953-1969. Somebody here will probably be able to tell you what's going on.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I also requested an archive letter from Colt, however that could take up to 90 days it says.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
You are welcome. I'm waiting on a letter myself. It's been 95 days so far.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Published Colt serial numbers for that model are confusing and I believe are full of errors, especially where flawed serial number ranges published by R.L. Wilson in the Book Of Colt Firearms were used as the source. And part of it was Colt's use of overlapping S/N ranges among different models.
I have an Officers Model Match .38 in the high 912,000 serial number range. Looking at the Colt website or Proofhouse, under the "Officers Model" section, the numbers don't go high enough. But when I look in the Trooper section, it falls under the 1956 range which is consistent with the features of my gun.

Using that same Trooper chart, it says S/N 934920 would be a 1966 gun which I believe to be as accurate as you will get until you receive the letter.

Proofhouse links:
Colt Models: Colt Models
Trooper: Trooper

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Published Colt serial numbers for that model are confusing and I believe are full of errors, especially where flawed serial number ranges published by R.L. Wilson in the Book Of Colt Firearms were used as the source. And part of it was Colt's use of overlapping S/N ranges among different models.
I have an Officers Model Match .38 in the high 912,000 serial number range. Looking at the Colt website or Proofhouse, under the "Officers Model" section, the numbers don't go high enough. But when I look in the Trooper section, it falls under the 1956 range which is consistent with the features of my gun.

Using that same Trooper chart, it says S/N 934920 would be a 1966 gun which I believe to be as accurate as you will get until you receive the letter.

Proofhouse links:
Colt Models: Colt Models
Trooper: Trooper
Yes thanks, I agree. I saw this yesterday researching under the list of Trooper's serial numbers

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Welcome to the COLT Forum from the Cradle Of Liberty...Pennsylvania !!

Enjoy Our Community Maxcustody...

BTW...that IS a beautiful Officers Model Match revolver.

Thank you, I am from right over the bridge, maple shade NJ. We live in West Virginia now.......

·
Registered
7,162 Posts
Know it well...( I grew up in Mayfair and only moved 20 years ago )...down Robbins Ave...over the Tacony Palmyra Bridge...then straight down 73S till ya see the Water Tower.

What was the name of that Rib place !?...73S side...taking a right off @ the ALL TURNS 1/2 loop into the dirt parking lot...just pass the Pennsauken Mart...but before coming up to your Maple Shade area.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Know it well...( I grew up in Mayfair and only moved 20 years ago )...down Robbins Ave...over the Tacony Palmyra Bridge...then straight down 73S till ya see the Water Tower.

What was the name of that Rib place !?...73S side...taking a right off @ the ALL TURNS 1/2 loop into the dirt parking lot...just pass the Pennsauken Mart...but before coming up to your Maple Shade area.

Yes you do....lol. not sure of a rib place. Used to go to the Jug handle inn and moorestown pub, best wings. I left in 89 when I went in the army and haven't been back other than Mom, and brother still live there. We moved 9x in the last 20 years, done now, retirement is in December......

1 - 20 of 28 Posts