1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Gun accessory
Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Product

I bought this revolver yesterday.
When I got it home I tried to look up the manufacture date.
Three is no 6 digit number starting with 4 for an Official Police on proof house.
Except for the misfitting plastic grips and the barrel with barrel vise slip marks, a twisted sight, and not aligned vertically, this revolver resembles my Army Special.

The serial number would make it a 1920 Army special, and the action is silky smooth like my 1922 Army special.

I don't think the sight is going to be the right height.

If I measure the thickness of the top strap on some revolvers:
0.215" 1940 Official Police 22LR
0.212" 1943 Official Police 38sp
0.203" 1962 Official Police 38sp
0.190" 1922 Army Special 32-20
0.193" yesterday's purchase that is labeled Official Police on the barrel

Auto part Tool Machine Metal

Here is a pic with a 1940 Official Police on the left, mystery 38 sp in center, and 1922 Army Special 32-20 on the right.

What do you think?
TIA

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
At a glance, the Front Sight of the Barrel would suggest that this is a post-War Barrel.

Which is to say, that it may be, that someone had merely put a post WWII 'Official Police' Barrel, on to a 1920s Army Special...then creating the confusion of this being an 'Official Police' ( like the Barrel says ).

What do the Patent Dates say on the Barrel top?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is no patent date on top of the barrel, but it says "Colt" on the right side.
I could take it back to the store.
I could make a tapered collet for the barrel vise, pull the barrel straighten the sight, change the should and put it together right.
That would be one more of 100 gunsmithing tasks I should do.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
It's a re-barreled Army Special, judging from the topstrap contour.

Reactions: thecoltguy

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Glad you were able to get a refund. The smooth, rounded topstrap is classic Army Special, and the serial number you gave is too low to be in the "transition" period. The very late Army Specials had the flattened topstrap, as is on your 1940 Official Police, but the barrels on those typically have 1926 as the last patent date.

Another characteristic to note is a pre-war Official Police should have a checked trigger while the Army Special trigger face is smooth.

And one more thing to make be aware of is if you come across a revolver that has an Army Special or Official Police marked barrel and a flattened topstrap like your Official Police but has a 5 digit (or less) serial number instead of a 6 digit number, it was originally a Colt's Commando.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.