Colt Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As some of you might recall I'm trying to find a Colt New Service that would make a good candidate for a Fitz cut down.

I have several "lines in the water" and this past weekend I got a strike and picked up a NS in 45 Colt, 5.5 inch.

I had called the seller before buying to discuss the condition of the gun and based on his comments I thought that this gun might be the one (very little finish left, missing parts, lots of rust, fake grips, etc.).

Well I got it home and I'm thinking this gun should not be cut up.

I could not bear to keep the cheap plastic fake stag grips on her so here she is without:

Aside from the grips, it is also missing the ejector rod head.

But a couple of really cool surprises. First the finish is not that bad and a good clean and waxing removed most of the rust. The bore is excellent and the timing and lockup is perfect.

But the the best surprise is this was a New York Sate Trooper gun! The backstrap is stamped N.Y.S.T. The butt is stamped K-No. 23. There is a hole for the lanyard ring, but it is missing too. Side of barrel is stamped New Service 45 Colt and top of barrel has Oct 5 1926 as the last patent date. Serial number is 329147 (1929 per proofhouse) with a single inspection mark "X" below the serial.

I found this link to confirm the Trooper history and assumed this gun was carried by an officer until 1954 when they replace them with OP.
New York Troopers History

Another site indicated that these surplus guns could have been purchased though the mail for less than $20 back in the 50's! I love former police guns and their history. Although there may be many of these old "war horses" still around, I still think I have an important piece of history to take care of.

Some questions:

Can you tell me what type of grips/stocks originally came on this gun? Did the NYST use a custom grip style? More importantly does anyone have a pair of grips they would like to sell?

Does anyone know where I can get the missing parts (ejector rod head and lanyard ring)?

Does anyone have any more info on this gun or the NYST use of this gun they can share? (Is K-23 a local troop? Or could that number tie the gun to a specific Officer?)

Lastly do you agree that this gun is not a Fitz candidate?

Thanks and Happy Independence Day!

·
The Consummate Collector
7,950 Posts
Thanks for posting the nice photo's and yes I agree it should not be cut. The N.Y.S.T. New Services are collectible and should remain in the original condition. Your gun should have the checkered walnut grips as Colt changed to these from the hard rubber at about serial number 328,000. These show up quite often on E-bay so you should not have any problem finding a correct set. I will keep on the lookout for you and if I see a set I will send you a PM. As for the lanyard ring, there is a replacement that matches the original that is offered on E-bay or Gunbroker. Try Firearm Parts & Accessories | Military Surplus | Numrich Gun Parts for the ejector rod end.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Ejector rod heads for M1917's and later (two knurled sections, back section longer) are correct for your gun. Chances of finding an original are good, and reproductions are made for that style head (or knob). There are also reproduction walnut grips with silver Colt medallions (not gold) that are the correct style if you can't find originals.

I fully agree that the gun is too valuable to cut up. Thanks for not doing so.:) Good luck with your rehab.

Buck

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone, I got the stocks coming from smkummer, knob from Numrich, lanyard from elysianfield! on ebay. I will post a picture when I get her all together.

I am very interested in the K-23 markings. Any idea what it means?

·
Registered
746 Posts
I think "Fitz"ing is a bad idea anyway. The triggerguard mod is potentially dangerous, and you can probably get somthing like it commercially (the Charter .44 Bulldog springs to mind, and S&W's "flavor-of-the-week" marketing makes me think they probably offer/have offered something like it.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK, I'll renew this post because we (meaning I) want to see it with the stocks installed as I know you have them.
Yes I do owe pictures. Sorry for the delay - family issues (teenagers!!!!) this weekend...

Anyway thanks to smkummer and others my latest NS is pretty much back to original configuration. The grips supplied by my friend in Indiana look great on the gun. The honest wear matches the gun perfectly. The ring and knob look new so they stand out a little bit. If anyone has any ideas on how to "age" these parts please let me know. Oh and of course the ring did not come with the pin to hold it in place. If anyone has one they would like to sell please let me know.

Also a few shots of the 4.5 inch NS I picked up earlier. You guys are right the older blue is a beautiful, mirror like finish. I really like the way the 4.5 incher feels in my hand.

I have not a chance to shoot them yet, although I did pick up a can of Cowboy loads so once I find the time I will have a range report.

Lastly while browsing the Numrich site I found they had Trooper MK wood grips for $42. I picked up a very nice MK in 22 cal last year and its turned into one of my favorite shooters. The original owner put on some aftermarket grips and for $42 I was glad to return her to almost original spec. Makes you wonder about the guys who are selling these exact grips for $100+ (knowledge is power!)

Thanks for all the comments and helpful suggestions!!!! (but still looking for a Fitz gun)

·
Premium Member
6,582 Posts
Well done and thanks for the compliment. For a pin to hold the lanyard loop, I have resorted to cutting and turning down a nail. I dropped it in some cold blue and only to myself do I know its not an original pin. Wow, that above holster sure looks nice. Of course your gun looks like it spent most off its time in THAT holster.

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
I have done several "semi Fitz" jobs on New Services but could never bring myself to hack out the front half of the trigger guard. Also I only do my mods on guns that have suffered major damage or bubba attention. This one had a replaced front sight monstrous thing about 1 1/2", shown here with redesign and major reduction in size & barrel reduced to 2".

I agree yours is a candidate for restoration rather than Fitzing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.