Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cleaned my m4 ( M 16) LE6920 and the safety is now spinning 360 degrees. I checked the retention spring and it is in place, I did find a small retaining pin, but have no clue why a cleaning would dislodged it or where it came from?? The safety will not stay put no matter if I load the gun, put a magazine in the chamber, etc. It is really driving me crazy(short drive). All I did was my usual cleaning and noticed the pin laying on my blow-up mat, and it does not look anything that is around the safety. So now I have a gun that has a non-working safety, have not tried to fired the gun as of yet.. Does anyone have a clue concerning what the pin may be from? I hate to send it back for a look see at Buds where I purchased it and have a lifetime warranty for the gun. Colt may be even worse, I do not know. I would love some advice:confused: concerning my problem. Thanks to all.... Bluffton 77
Colt LE6920 Law Enforcement 30+1 223REM/5.56NATO 16.1"
Colt LE6920 Law Enforcement 30+1 223REM/5.56NATO 16.1"

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank-you Abwehr!

While cleaning your carbine, did you remove the GRIP? If so, the DETENT PIN may have fallen out. The Detent Pin and Spring is held in place by the Grip. Here is a video of replacing the Safety, Detent, Detent Spring and Grip. Hope this helps. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwWD8AFYlXg

The "small retaining pin" you found is the Detent for the Safety.
You hit the nail, or should I say the detent on the head! I looked again yesterday, and I saw where the detent may go and you were absolutely correct! I placed the detent in as shown in the youtube video you showed in your post, and now my Carbine is working perfectly. When I put it away for the night after being frustrated, I slept on the problem to clear my head:bang_wall: and the answer did come to me. But after seeing the youtube video, it confirmed my idea of how to solve the problem. I did the detent and screw as was shown in the video, and it works flawlessly. Having the video did make me feel better that I was doing the proper thing. When using any firearm, I am very careful to put it back together as it should be, safety first! I appreciate your time and great link. Thanks again!!

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Some times Colt puts in extra parts in the gun. You don't need them just throw it in a jar for another day. :D I'm glad it was cleared up and your back on target.

Reactions: ei8ht

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
If you have extra parts left over every time you disassemble your firearm to clean it, keep doing it until you have enough extra parts to build a second gun :cool:

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Hey that is how I was able to have a second car at home.

Reactions: ei8ht

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
You hit the nail, or should I say the detent on the head! I looked again yesterday, and I saw where the detent may go and you were absolutely correct! I placed the detent in as shown in the youtube video you showed in your post, and now my Carbine is working perfectly. When I put it away for the night after being frustrated, I slept on the problem to clear my head:bang_wall: and the answer did come to me. But after seeing the youtube video, it confirmed my idea of how to solve the problem. I did the detent and screw as was shown in the video, and it works flawlessly. Having the video did make me feel better that I was doing the proper thing. When using any firearm, I am very careful to put it back together as it should be, safety first! I appreciate your time and great link. Thanks again!!
Don't feel bad about leaving a part out, I have done and probalby everyone else on the Forum has done the same thing, LOL! The good part is this was an easy "fix"......wait until you leave a part out of a S&W revolver and have to totally dissasemble again, yep, I have done that too, LOL.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts