Colt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Taken straight from the page:

The Third Generation began in 1976, characterized by a change in barrel thread pitch and a solid cylinder bushing replacing the removable/replaceable part from the first and second generations. This series ran until 1982 as a limited-issue product with the serial number range of SA80,000 to SA99,999.

In 1994, production of the SAA resumed with the increase in popularity of "Cowboy Action Shooting" matches. These models are known either as "Late Third Generation" or sometimes Fourth Generation. They have the original style removable/replaceable cylinder bushing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colt_Single_Action_Army

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
I'm not knowledgeable enough to know if that information is correct or not but...

While it has gotten somewhat better, anything on Wikipedia should be taken with a large grain of salt and verified through other sources. As a Science teacher, I strongly discourage my students from using Wiki as a stand-alone resource when doing research for their science fair projects.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
I'm not knowledgeable enough to know if that information is correct or not but...

While it has gotten somewhat better, anything on Wikipedia should be taken with a large grain of salt and verified through other sources. As a Science teacher, I strongly discourage my students from using Wiki as a stand-alone resource when doing research for their science fair projects.
Agreed.

I believe the information on Wiki is provided by whoever happens to have that information and wants to take the time to share. Nothing about it is concrete fact in most cases.

Reactions: Rich N

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
No it's not correct. I believe by 1980 the serial number had a prefix of SA also production never really stopped. Production was moved to the Custom shop for a while around 1985 and the removal cylinder bushing came out again around 2003 IIRC.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
One thing I edited on the Wikipedia SAA page was on the topic of light smokeless loads in pre 1901 1st Gen guns. When I read that, I immediately changed that to blackpowder cartridges only.
By doing that I hopefully saved some idiot from blowing or messing up his prized SAA. I still can't believe where the idea of putting light smokeless loads in BP guns comes from, and I will continue advising against it (and piano wire bolt/trigger springs).

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Taken straight from the page:

The Third Generation began in 1976, characterized by a change in barrel thread pitch and a solid cylinder bushing replacing the removable/replaceable part from the first and second generations. This series ran until 1982 as a limited-issue product with the serial number range of SA80,000 to SA99,999.

In 1994, production of the SAA resumed with the increase in popularity of "Cowboy Action Shooting" matches. These models are known either as "Late Third Generation" or sometimes Fourth Generation. They have the original style removable/replaceable cylinder bushing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colt_Single_Action_Army
Yep, almost all wrong.
Up thru # 99999SA, in 1978 the SA was a suffix.
In 1978 the SA changed to a prefix and the #s began over starting with SA01001.
The limited production began in the mid 1980s with the strike. All guns from Custom Shop and required at least one custom extra cost option, usually genuine ivory grips were installed.
In 1993 the only change was to the split SA beginning over with #S02001A.
1999 the Cyl pin bushings began with the 2000 SAA 125th Anniv Models #SA74000-SA75999.
2003 the Cyl pin bushings began on all regular production in the #S34000A range.

·
Premium Member
20,536 Posts
Added information from Wilkerson's book entitled "The Post-War Colt Single-Action Revolver"

The latest 2nd gen serial number is 73319SA (a 4-3/4" barreled, b/cc, 357mag).
The first 3rd gen serial number is 80000SA and ran up to 99999SA before going to the SAxxxxx SN range.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Added information from Wilkerson's book entitled "The Post-War Colt Single-Action Revolver"

The latest 2nd gen serial number is 73319SA (a 4-3/4" barreled, b/cc, 357mag).
The first 3rd gen serial number is 80000SA and ran up to 99999SA before going to the SAxxxxx SN range.
The: "1999 the Cyl pin bushings began with the 2000 SAA 125th Anniv Models #SA74000-SA75999.", I listed were advertised as 2nd gen #s from that gap between 2nd gen #s and the first 3rd gen #s, but with an SA prefix.
However, they also fit in a gap in the 3rd gen #s from 1988 which would also have SA prefixes and would have been duplicate #s. Did Colt plan the 1999 125th Anniv Model 11 years earlier?

·
Banned
1,794 Posts

Yes, and I believe the same could be said regarding even some text books in use for subject matter involving sometimes conflicting research and other information, and even perhaps some scientific research and opinion in your specialty field of science, as has occurred in the subject of global warming and climate change, and where persons in very high and important positions who continue to argue the merits of virtually the consensus of opinion of EVERY expert and authority on weather and climatology in the world, as if they had a clue as to what they're talking about!

Here's a small example of what I am referring to, which involves the "manipulation" of historical facts and information which might interest you... It is my understanding that these text books are in present day use in many school districts!

https://thinkprogress.org/texas-boa...-jefferson-out-of-its-textbooks-477678f05e7f/

1 - 10 of 10 Posts