Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Liking AR rifles is a disease, there is no known cure for it. :p

I was very curious with the M4 design and I finally broke down and bought a non Colt brand in 2005 which was Lewis Machine & Tool Co. (LMT) same 16" M4 profile barrel as the LE6920, the quality of the LMT is close to Colt but I still prefer the feel of Colt which is slightly different and which I'm used to being a Colt AR owner since 1971.

When Colt changed the roll markings of the LE6920 to "Sporter & M4 Carbine" several years ago I finally bought two 6920 carbines, my two teenage boys learned to shoot them when the carbines were brand new and they're officially going to have them when they turn 18 y/o.

Next time I'll probably just get a 6720 Lightweight carbine going back full circle from my first new Colt Sporter II (model R6420) lightweight carbine back in 1985.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
16,463 Posts
My buddy came to visit last week.

This guy is an engineer and studies things extensively before making a choice.
He's so deep into ballistics and accuracy technology and theory I can't even start to follow him.
He has three inch thick books of test targets he's fired with various calibers, bullet weights, and powders.

He's a President's 100 shooter, is on a first name basis with Middleton Tompkins and David Tubb, owns two M1A Match rifles built by a nationally known builder, owns several HIGH end accuracy rifles, including a $15,000 long range rifle with a Schmidt & Bender custom scope and silencer, and buys high end shooting gear right and left.
He also owns two Rock River Arms rifles. One a CMP National Match he had worked over and one flat top. He bought them because RRA was the only company at that time that gave a guarantee on accuracy.

He was wanting a home/truck defense carbine and RRA was going to be some months delivering.

He shows up at my place with a Walmart Colt LE6920!!!!!
Fitted with a $500 Eotech sight and a single point sling.

He also had a 1 inch thick book of test targets he shot with various bullets and powder loads.
Suffice to say, the reports that Colt M4 carbines are only capable of average accuracy are WRONG.
Not Match grade, but a lot better then most of us are led to believe.

Am I jealous???

NO.
I have reason NOT to be............
Gun Firearm Machine gun Trigger Rifle

·
Registered
1,309 Posts

One of my Colt model 6920 M4 carbine.

What is a '6920'?
I hope you're not kidding, I don't see any smiley on your post.

The Colt model LE6920 M4 type carbine is a semi auto version of the US military's select fire M4 carbine, except the 6920 have the civilian legal barrel length of 16" and compliant to all civilian laws with semi auto fire control group and selector, also semi auto lower receiver which could not readily be converted to full auto per the BATFE technical branch regulations.

The first LE6920 model was released to the law enforcement market around 1999 except it had the old style Colt Fiberlite CAR (N 1 marked) small carbine buttstock and it had the lower receiver roll marks of "Colt's Law Enforcement Carbine" and LE restricted markings on the right side of the magwell.

In 2002 the current Colt M4 type buttstock replaced the old Fiberlite CAR buttstock which looks just like my carbine on the pic above, and in late 2004 after the assault weapon ban expired they were legal to be purchased by civilians.

For year 2011 only Colt changed the markings to "Sporter M4 Carbine" and removed the LE restricted roll marks, late that same year the new Colt Defense-Rogers SuperStoc with friction lock was adopted.

In 2012 the markings changed again to the current "M4 Carbine" and that's what you would normally find at your local Walmart, other versions like the Magpul MOE models (with black, flat dark earth, and OD green furniture), model LE6920SOCOM with heavier contour barrel under the handguards and Knight's Armament Co. rails, and other distributor limited models are all part of the 6920 carbine series.

This year Colt had added more different camo finishes:

Muddy Girl
Tiger Stripe Vietnam
Carbon Fiber
Silver Flame
Brushed Stainless Steel
Wildfire
A-TACS FG (foliage green camo)
A-TACS AU
Gray
Bounty Hunter

Here's an article about these new finishes.

His & Hers Designer Colt AR-15s ? New Durable Hydro-Dipped Patterns

·
Administrator
7,436 Posts
My buddy came to visit last week.

This guy is an engineer and studies things extensively before making a choice.
He's so deep into ballistics and accuracy technology and theory I can't even start to follow him.
He has three inch thick books of test targets he's fired with various calibers, bullet weights, and powders.

He's a President's 100 shooter, is on a first name basis with Middleton Tompkins and David Tubb, owns two M1A Match rifles built by a nationally known builder, owns several HIGH end accuracy rifles, including a $15,000 long range rifle with a Schmidt & Bender custom scope and silencer, and buys high end shooting gear right and left.
He also owns two Rock River Arms rifles. One a CMP National Match he had worked over and one flat top. He bought them because RRA was the only company at that time that gave a guarantee on accuracy.

He was wanting a home/truck defense carbine and RRA was going to be some months delivering.

He shows up at my place with a Walmart Colt LE6920!!!!!
Fitted with a $500 Eotech sight and a single point sling.

He also had a 1 inch thick book of test targets he shot with various bullets and powder loads.
Suffice to say, the reports that Colt M4 carbines are only capable of average accuracy are WRONG.
Not Match grade, but a lot better then most of us are led to believe.

Am I jealous???

NO.
I have reason NOT to be............
View attachment 41787
He's the most interesting man in the world ?

;)

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.