Colt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our own Coltforum member, Snubbies referred me to the auction in which I purchased this nickel plated first edition Colt Cobra, in excellent, lightly-used condition for $400 + $20 S&H. Thanks, Snubbies! That was a nice, classy and selfless thing to do, and particularly nice since Snubbies is a gun dealer who could have bought the Cobra and sold it for a profit. Snubbies kept responding to my post, until I acquired one of these. http://www.coltforum.com/forums/want-buy/44361-wtb-colt-cobra-nickel-plated-first-edition-2.html

The photo with no stocks shows the Cobra, partly polished with Flitz, and partly in its original to me milky/cloudy nickel finish.

The other photo was taken after Eezoxing, Flitzing the revolver completely, Eezoxing again, then applying two coats of Renaissance Wax. It took two tubes of Flitz, about ten evenings polishing and watching TV, and about 10 microfiber cloths to polish the revolver.

I think it came out great!

What do you think?

ColtCobraNi38-PartPolished (1)1.jpg ColtCobraNiPolished (10)1.jpg

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Good looking Cobra.I have dealt with Snubbies in the past and he is a credit to the forum.D*

·
Premium Member
3,036 Posts
wow, great buy and great looking after all your hard work. Hay Snubbies, do you have a link to another auction for one of these? :)

·
Premium Member
9,516 Posts
Every time I see a reference to an "issue" of the Colt Detective Special or Cobra, it elevates my blood pressure. That term is not used in the Colt collector community so it did not originate there. The "issue" issue appears to be the fault of the always unreliable "Blue Book."

While it can be argued that there are at least eight "issues" of the Detective Special, as opposed to the three (is it three?) the "Blue Book" claims, the Cobra has a much shorter history than the Detective Special because it did not exist until Post-War. The Cobra was introduced in 1950 as an alloy-frame version of the Post-War Detective Special, already in its Third Generation by that time. These early Cobras had the “Dual Tone” finish and plastic stocks. I would call these guns "First Generation." The plastic stocks were changed to wood in the mid-1950s, and the “Dual Tone” finish was dropped. I do not consider the stock material or finish change as another generation, but some might. In 1966, the butt frame was shortened, which is Second Generation. In 1973, a year after the Detective Special got the shrouded ejector rod, the shrouded barrel was introduced on the Cobra, which I count as Third Generation. The Cobra last appeared in a Colt catalog in 1978, and was absent from the 1979 catalog.

I would classify the subject Cobra a "Second Generation" because it has the abbreviated butt and an un-shrouded barrel.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Our own Coltforum member, Snubbies referred me to the auction in which I purchased this nickel plated first edition Colt Cobra, in excellent, lightly-used condition for $400 + $20 S&H. Thanks, Snubbies! That was a nice, classy and selfless thing to do, and particularly nice since Snubbies is a gun dealer who could have bought the Cobra and sold it for a profit. Snubbies kept responding to my post, until I acquired one of these. http://www.coltforum.com/forums/want-buy/44361-wtb-colt-cobra-nickel-plated-first-edition-2.html

The photo with no stocks shows the Cobra, partly polished with Flitz, and partly in its original to me milky/cloudy nickel finish.

The other photo was taken after Eezoxing, Flitzing the revolver completely, Eezoxing again, then applying two coats of Renaissance Wax. It took two tubes of Flitz, about ten evenings polishing and watching TV, and about 10 microfiber cloths to polish the revolver.

I think it came out great!

What do you think?

View attachment 22471 View attachment 22472
Came out looking like a million bucks! Nice job! Snubby is to be saluted for his selflessness!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Absolutely beautiful. Great story a lot of hard work and good people looking out for one another. That's what I love about this forum. Not only a love for the object, but for the brotherhood as well. My hat goes off to you snubbies. :cool:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts