Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
May 30, 2012

Tester Leads Senate in Blocking U.N. Arms Treaty

(GunAuction.com) -- Standing up for Second Amendment rights, Senator Jon Tester of Montana today successfully blocked government funding from being used to advance the United Nations Arms Trade Treaty. Tester’s bipartisan amendment, which unanimously passed the powerful Senate Appropriations Committee, prevents spending to advocate for or agree to any treaty provision that would that would restrict Americans’ gun rights.

“Firearms possession is guaranteed by the Second Amendment and cannot be surrendered to an international treaty,” said Tester, chairman of the Congressional Sportsmen’s Caucus and a lifelong champion of gun rights. “As a staunch defender of the U.S. Constitution, I won’t let any treaty impede our Constitutional rights and infringe on our way of life.”

Tester first laid out his opposition to the treaty last July, saying “I want the Obama Administration to understand loud and clear that no foreign treaty will dictate America’s gun rights, or the privacy of the firearms and ammo we own.”

The U.N. Arms Trade Treaty, which must be ratified by the Senate, aims to improve regulation of the international trade of conventional weapons and set standards to ensure that arms are only transferred for appropriate use. Negotiators may finalize the treaty’s language as early as July.
Tester said that keeping weapons out of the hands of terrorists will increase global security, but noted that the United States has already adopted a rigorous system of arms export controls that other nations should follow.

The NRA praised Tester’s leadership.

“The United Nations must be prevented from interfering with our constitutional freedoms. Equally important, American taxpayers should not be forced to foot the bill for the U.N.’s efforts to restrict our Right to Keep and Bear Arms,” said Chris W. Cox, executive director for NRA’s Institute for Legislative Action. “The NRA would like to thank Senator Tester and Senator Moran for their leadership in offering this amendment to protect American freedom.”

Tester’s bipartisan provision is cosponsored by Senator Jerry Moran (R-Kan.).

SOURCE: Tester Leads Senate in Blocking U.N. Arms Treaty

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Well he is up for re-election this year against a very pro gun Republican Congressman......If re-elected don't look for anymore leadership from this guy. He has voted for everything Obama has put infront of him. But it is still a good thing.

·
Registered
536 Posts
In contrast, our pals to the North have caved in. Also, please note that the folks from mexico said that in their experience, a great number of arms confiscated from its notorious gangs are sporting and hunting firearms that have been modified and transformed into assault weapons.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Canada has modified its controversial position on a United Nations arms control treaty.
In a new position paper submitted to the UN, the federal government has dropped its proposal to exclude all sporting and hunting firearms from the international Arms Trade Treaty, an agreement that seeks to regulate the import, export and transfer of all conventional weapons.
Last summer Canada surprised many and attracted heaps of scorn from countries such as Nigeria, Brazil, Mexico and Australia, when it changed its stance on the treaty and advocated for the exclusion of so-called "civilian" firearms.
In particular, the Mexicans said that in their experience, a great number of arms confiscated from its notorious gangs are sporting and hunting firearms that have been modified and transformed into assault weapons.

For more Canada revises stance on UN arms trade treaty - World - CBC News

Mac

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
He has voted for everything Obama has put infront of him. But it is still a good thing.
I read this very article this morning on GunAuction.com. Although I'm pleased with Testor's stance on the UN Small Arms Treaty issue and am thankful that it is he, and not a Schumer or a Lautenburg who chairs this Senate committee, I still have to wonder about his motives. How can he really believe in American citizens' rights and freedoms when he will kow-tow to everything else President Obama puts before Congress. But, like Ratzo says, "it is still a good thing." I would trade our own Senator Sherrod Brown for Jon Testor any day. JMHO.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Tester may be conservative as far a democrats go, but he does have an election to win in November and hopefully we will have a more conservative republican in his place. He has supported way to much of the Obama agenda!

·
Registered
83 Posts
I totally agree with majdad93 on this ..We'll trade our gutless whiner sherrod brown for tester any day.... sherrod brown is one of the most liberal liars of the Ohio senate than any other loser the dems can get to spew their anti gun agenda ....

·
Registered
758 Posts
Olde- dawg from Ohio... I think we should try to trade Sherrod Brown for Tester... If they balk and say that is not a fair trade, we will throw in John Kasich too.....and maybe some Ohio wine... some perogies, and finally Dennis Kucinich.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
You Ohioans don't feel bad. Our other Senator stated he would never vote against the second amendment. Well in 94 he traded his vote on the Clinton Gun Ban to a yes so that he could get his buddy nominated for federal judge. Now Judge Malloy has done more to kill off big game herds/jobs with his legislate from the bench on environmental/wolf issues attitude. Follow the money......

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
100% correct Ratzo, his crap is in the street,MT is bastion of all things outdoors,I left MT because of the Liberal agendas on the MT. legislatures work docket. I watched the Ted Turners,Jane Fonda's and other Hollywood elites and lots of west coasties destroy the Hwy 93 corridor by infiltrating local city councils,planning commisions and other positions in local gov.The good folks of MT will correct their state in the next few elections.

Class of 1975 Sentinel High School,Missoula MT

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Longranger, I don't know when you were last back here but it hasn't gotten any better. Still a nice place to live comparatively. Been to Buffalo twice. Rode my motorcycle through the Big Horns. About as beautiful a place as there is on earth.

Yeah 'ol Ted was totally against hunting. Until he found out how much someone woud pay to shoot an Elk or Bison.

Sorry to get off topic...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts