Colt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I found these two pistols at a gunstore and would like to know something about them. The Officier Model is in really nice shape. It has a 6" barrel and is 38SPL and is listed as a target 2nd issue. It's serial number 352184 and is $329.95. The Colt DA 1889 Navy has a 4 1/2 barrel and is .41. The serial number is 878 in several places but on the butt there is 28 then 907. It has what looks like black rubber grips with COLT on them and the Colt roll mark looks unlike any I've ever seen...maybe because I've never seen a Colt this old. The finish is really worn and they want $595.95 for it. Are either of these good deals? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Sonny01

·
Premium Member
1,449 Posts
I am no expert on these but I would purchase the target 38 as long as it is tight and the timing is on. Anything that goes bang for $300 is deal now adays. As for the 41 cal DA, I see alot of these around for some reason. Seems to be pretty common, but the ammo is not.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
The Model 1889 is a late variation that used the Model 1892 frame (There are two cuts in the bottom of the cylinder window for the cylinder locking parts that were present on the Model 1892s but not on this variation of the Model 1889 New Navy revolver.) The ejector rod nob is not correct and has been replaced. I personally think $600 is high for this variation in this condition... On the OM ... It appears to be renickeled and doesn't seem to have the correct grips... If you are buying it for a shooter, I would see how it shoots before I invested $330 in it... If it doesn't shoot well, for a few dollars more I would think you could find a better one... Just my opinion... Bob Best

·
Premium Member
9,720 Posts
Unless you have money burning a hole in your pocket, I would pass on both. The OMT is poorly refinished and will always just be a worn shooter. The other looks original, but is in poor condition and not totally correct either. I would save my money, try to add some to it, and look for a better OMT or later OMS or OMM. Buying a lower condition but original finish gun would be a much better idea in my opinion. Honest wear is always more desireable than a refinish.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just came back from a store that had a 300$ blue S&W 19 that was pinned and recessed and in excellant condition but when you pulled the trigger, stopped the hammer and wiggled the cylinder it moved. Also, when you cocked it and pushed a little on the hammer it fired. I don't know what these tests are called but I learned them here on this forum.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
A Smith will have some play in the cylinder during full lock-up. It's action is not like that of a Colt where the cylinder does not move at all.
Push-off is what you were referring to when the hammer can be pushed from full cock. It's generally a sign of a poor trigger job being performed and can be dangerous if you don't know about it.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Sonny, you did good to "pass them up" as said above the one is NOT even a 'decent'plating job, besides the prices I feel were too high.

As for the S&W,model 19, those are "lock up/timing issues" (cylinder play and 'push off') Would have to 'look and "see" more once you even get what you noticed. It could cost quite a bit to "make right".
You're "learning", as we all still do day to day.
When you "see" pits under the plating or under the finish of ANY gun , most likely it has been "refinished" and NOT well. NONE of the gun companies finished their guns "over pitting" , they just don't do that.
As for the "timing issues" you have to 'know' what you're looking for and even looking at, many guys can "show" you what they want you to see,maybe not the "correct"; besides, there are even 'different' correct tests and procedures and "How" they are done to make a cause and effect, again, maybe NOT the proper one. It is very easy to "show" a gun "in time" and say it is, when in fact the opposite may be true. Yes, it's 'slight of hand' for some of these guys and when you buy it "sight , unseen' on the internet, try and collect across the country on a "bad deal". Hopefully you run into guys who are "straight shooters" and 'honest' enough to let you have the "3 day inspection" and you better get it checked in those 3 days too!

Open the box , check it out and a qualified person can tell in a matter of seconds. NOW, the caveat to this is "how does it shoot"?? It may take time to get to the range to try it out and now another can of worms can be opened, we won't even go there !!! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Also, when you cocked it and pushed a little on the hammer it fired. I don't know what these tests are called but I learned them here on this forum.

[/ QUOTE ] good catch /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

1 - 9 of 9 Posts