1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Marc,There are more ?'s than answers on this one.I don't remember if all the SS serial numbers had a letter prefix but mine do.It leads me to believe that it might be an early nickel.It has so many things wrong with it that I'm not sure if I would give half of what he is asking.I wonder how he sleeps at night?:)D*PS did you find someone to fix the sight on your Magnum Carry?If you didn't and still want it fixed send me a closeup photo of the sight and I'll let you know if I can do it.

·
Registered
501 Posts
As a new guy can you kindly point out how to identify the reproduced tags and grips? I'm still learning so I'd appreciate knowing how to spot a fake.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Thanks a whole bunch for the heads up on what people are doing. I have learned that I will not buy expensive guns off of GB. I have seen one members name on the GB and maybe I'd buy from him or You, Keystonearms but for now I just cruise GB for junkers and parts. I would buy from the classifieds here on Colt Forum but YEEEssccch, there are opportunities to get taken out there. I am glad Dad has a 4 inch Python nickel that I defiled and the 6 inch Trooper MK III that I got as a parts gun for $250ish and fixed by reinstalling the hand spring with a ton of help from this forum! Jees I got talky there. I am going to be very careful when buying expensive guns such as pythons.:cool:

·
Registered
127 Posts
And with the cost of pythons, I think it would make sense to travel across 3 - 5 states to look at them in person at reputable dealers shops and then have them sent to my FFL holders shop. He likes seeing the guns I have sent to him any way!:cool:

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
71firebird400. Any yellow hang tag should have a yellow string. If the string is white, it's a fugazi(fake, repro, etc). The orange ones are harder as you need to see them closeup but they should have a white string.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I get the whole hang tag thing, Many of the firearms I offer for sale, I put them on. I usually disclose this fact in the description and also I feel as if you are wise enough to be buying a $3k Python, you know the difference between the original and a fakey. This sellers representation of this firearm is WAY overboard. Millet Rear sight, tag, Chinese grips, and a sealed bag? Wow, where do you draw the line. The sad part is someone will probably come along and buy the darn thing.

I have tracked many guns that I have owned over the years and using this gun as an example...I sold it as a "Shooter Grade" gun for $2100. I seen it for sale elsewhere at $2500 and now again on Gunbroker for $3200. Amazing how a Shooter turned NIB!

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They were subject of a heated debate here on the forum awhile back on a Diamondback auction. I have sold guns to one of their "Buyers" and then they went back up on Gunbroker at a higher price but have never dealt with them directly. They may have been told this particular gun was NIB and don't know any better. Who knows? I'm not throwing him under the bus.

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
I get the whole hang tag thing, Many of the firearms I offer for sale, I put them on. I usually disclose this fact in the description and also I feel as if you are wise enough to be buying a $3k Python, you know the difference between the original and a fakey. This sellers representation of this firearm is WAY overboard. Millet Rear sight, tag, Chinese grips, and a sealed bag? Wow, where do you draw the line. The sad part is someone will probably come along and buy the darn thing.

I have tracked many guns that I have owned over the years and using this gun as an example...I sold it as a "Shooter Grade" gun for $2100. I seen it for sale elsewhere at $2500 and now again on Gunbroker for $3200. Amazing how a Shooter turned NIB!
Are you saying that this is a gun you sold before?? Is it a stainless? Plus I've never seen a gun in a sealed bag -

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
I've bought several firearms from Williams Gun Sight. They've all been well-priced, and spot-on with their descriptions. I've never gotten a bad deal from them. I've looked up close at a lot of their firearms, and this is the first time I've seen one mis-marked. :confused: :confused:
This is Williams Gun Shop -- Not Willianms Gun Sight - I made the same mistake, Williams Gun Sight is on GB as
WilliamsGunsight and in a different city in MI. - This apparently a different outfit. I bought a Remington model 7MS in .257 Roberts from Williams Gun Sight and got a good deal on a beautiful gun - the guys answered all my questions and were pleasent to deal with. Apparently I also bought a Colt from the above mentioned Williams Gun Shop and gave them a good feedback, but I don't remember which Colt it was.

Reactions: Pendennis

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
The grips, the box, the tag, the sights etc. are wrong. Did this guy microwave the gun/bag combo before posting it?
Looks suspiciously like the "FBG's" bag he's selling for $5 a pop. I just restocked my "original" plastic bags by hitting the Wally World trash/storage bag aisle :rolleyes:

·
Registered
657 Posts
I get the whole hang tag thing, Many of the firearms I offer for sale, I put them on. I usually disclose this fact in the description and also I feel as if you are wise enough to be buying a $3k Python, you know the difference between the original and a fakey. This sellers representation of this firearm is WAY overboard....
I usually disclose ...if you are wise enough to be buying a $3k Python, you know the difference

So it is a caveat emptor issue we are talking about I suppose?

·
Registered
686 Posts
I only have one Colt with a hang tag. It looks funky enough to be original, but who can tell for sure? The box certainly raises some issues, but that's the way I bought it. Colt was so unorthodox about so many things, I guess you would have to have been there to have any kind of really legitimate opinion.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The Anacondas and King Cobras should have a orange Tag. The Yellow tags are for old firearms. The "Fakers" are not legally allowed to duplicate the Orange tags, they are not old enough yet and are still under copyright. Someday in the future you will be able to buy Orange fakies. This of course relates to the legitimate Fakers, the guy that are doing them illegally could care less about the copyright...Obviously.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts