Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this NS with the thoughts that I would use it for a Fitz

Colts Patents Arms Manufacturing Company New Service 45 colt 4 3/8' bbl 45 ACP Rare For Sale at GunAuction.com

Darn thing showed up today and it is not a cut barrel but a depression era, factory 4.5 inch, commercial gun in 45 long colt. Not refinished, 80%, no lanyard strap hole Looks like it never existed), checkered wood grips, crisp markings. Damn now what? trying to buy a beater and cant even get that right.....now I gotta find another.

How uncommon is a 4.5 inch barrel? Did I just luck into a pretty rare combination? Worthy of a letter?

·
Registered
941 Posts
The 4 1/2" New Service is the rarest of the three standard barrel lengths. Most common is the 5 1/2", followed by the 7 1/2". 4" .38 special New Services and 6" guns are also in the mix.

I believe the front sight has been modified. Standard would be the "shark fin" front.

The only combo that I would like better would be a 4 1/2" in .44 Russian & Special. You gotcha a goodun'!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've been panting after a NS to Fitz, myself. I'm torn between latching onto some old beater that would probably require more than it's worth to make functional, and getting something too nice to chop. Every time I see one that looks usable, I get to feeling that it would be just wrong and a shame to cut it up.

·
Registered
12,845 Posts
Nice old New Service!

I'd say, to not cut it...but, instead, find some correct un-messed-with Stocks for it and enjoy it as is...it is a rare Barrel Length and a very nice example one would be proud to own and to take out in the Woods once in a while when Hiking or other. 'Perfect'...

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
don't fitz it, Flitz it!

rub some Flitz polish on those spots and they might go away.
don't cut up a fine old colt. a cut trigger guard just looks goofy to me, i don't care what famous guy did it first. :bang_wall:

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
Don't tamper with this one !! It looks like with a good cleaning it'll be a wonderful old New Service to shoot to your heart's content. Was it DaColtGuy that had that brace of 4 1/2 New Service with boxes that was posted a few months ago? I still drool over those specimens. :)

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
I agree - don't mess with it. Shoot it and enjoy it the way it is. That is too nice a gun to start cutting on. There are plenty of reblued, but mechanically sound, New Services out there for a Fitz job.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Another anti-Fitz vote here. Other than finding some appropriate stocks leave it be and enjoy it as is.

There's nothing like a Fitz-ed gun to make me avert my eyes in pain over the ruination afflicted. Just a personal opinion.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Do you suppose that the notches filed into the front sight are sighting marks for various distances from the revolver?

·
The Consummate Collector
6,655 Posts
Don't tamper with this one !! It looks like with a good cleaning it'll be a wonderful old New Service to shoot to your heart's content. Was it DaColtGuy that had that brace of 4 1/2 New Service with boxes that was posted a few months ago? I still drool over those specimens. :)
Did I miss some 4 1/2" New Services that were for sale? Can you list the post? I would like to see what I missed.

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
Did I miss some 4 1/2" New Services that were for sale? Can you list the post? I would like to see what I missed.
No sir they weren't for sale and I can't remember who posted the pictures but they looked pristine w/boxes and were shown as examples.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am expecting to pick it up later in the week from my FFL (darn delay). It did apear that the grips were a little small of the frame I will pull them and see if they are numbered to the gun.

Yes the notches in the front sight do appar to be for different ranges.

Still deciding, I have an anaconda in 45 colt for walking the woods, but maybe I will keep this as is but the fitz bug has bit me bad!

·
Registered
457 Posts
I agree, I say flitz not fitz. The barrel length is scarce besides probably having been modified. But it is still an orignal finish N.S. that is not a safe queen that can be used regularly. By the way is that flat latch cylinder release latch correct for such a late s.n. New Service? Can anyone confirm if this is correct or if it should be a round cylinder release latch. Sorry didn't mean to hijack your post but this caught my eye and was curious.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Keep it intact. Once you Fitz it you can't put it back! If you don't like the Fitz you will regret it forever.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
FITZ IT ,, this thread is getting boring. Lets see some before and after pics,,Everyone likes to see a little destruction.

John

1 - 20 of 23 Posts