Colt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thanks to skwcoltguy and a great deal, I have a brand new 2" OP barrel. I have no plans to do something with it right this minute, but might eventually try a project with it. that being said, I want to start thinking about what I want to do, so if the right deal comes along on a frame/gun, I am prepared to purchase what I need to purchase. What do you guys think?

The way I see it, I can do one of two things:

1. Find an excellent+ condition 4" or 6" official police and have a gunsmith swap barrels and I would have a cool looking snub.

PROS:
A simple barrel swap and my project would be nearly complete. (Stocks etc might come later)
The barrel swap wouldn't really be much of a cost I don't think.

CONS:
I would be taking a really nice original OP out of circulation and replacing it with a gun that wont letter right. A little guilt there. (not much, but a little).
I would have to pay more for the excellent condition OP, and yet it still wouldnt letter correct.

2. Find a good condition, poor finish OP, have gun refinished by PRO, and add new barrel

PROS:
Initial investment in gun would be less
Would be taking a low desirability gun and making it better

CONS:
Gun would be refinished
Cost of refinishing puts me probably up to what I could have just bought a really good condition OP for in the first place

I dont really like refinished guns, but I also dont want to put a brand new black barrel on a brown gun. I get the fact that unless I find an original 2", its not going to letter anyways. To be honest, I don't really care in this case if it letters, I just think I could make a really cool looking snub. On the other hand Im not sure I want to invest more in the gun than its worth... Im not sure if that is possible or not. Do I really want to have 7 or 800 in a gun thats worth $400? My general rule of thumb is to have less in guns than what they are worth.

Other factors: I only have $40 in the barrel. I already have a pair of correct stocks, which I have $26 in. I can use them as long as I am okay with square butt. I would like round butt, but then I am probably going to have to have that smithed also if I want that. More costs.

Thoughts? Thanks guys!

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
LOL- In rereading my posts, I almost feel like I answered my own question.

My gut/head says it makes most sense to just find an excellent condition OP and swap the barrels. Its not like there is a huge shortage of Official Police 38's. At least then it would be all original, minus the barrel length... Still want to hear any of your ideas!

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
Best option is to sell it to me to replace the 6" barrel on my nearly perfect OP. Been looking for a new 2" bbl. for a while. I'll be waiting :eek:

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Best option is to sell it to me to replace the 6" barrel on my nearly perfect OP. Been looking for a new 2" bbl. for a while. I'll be waiting :eek:
BEST option would be to sell me your nearly perfect OP I think!

Always start with the best that you can afford imho. While it may not "letter" correctly, if you decide to sell in the future you can sell with original barrel.
+1.

This is the same conclusion I was coming to also. Like you said, I can keep the barrel with it for someone who is concerned about it in the future... Or maybe Saemetric will sell me his 6" without the barrel for a discount ;)

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm in ND, maybe we can share the 2" Official Police once the marriage is done. But I get custody!!
Oh sure, no problem at all. Just go ahead and get that gun sent to me...I'll be sure to get it right back to you... (fingers crossed behind back).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts