Colt Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A guy I work with wants to sell his 1909. Let me start off by saying I know nothing about this gun. I like the gun but I am not sure if it’s a good deal or not. He says it is all original but after seeing the pictures it looks to good to be true. Can someone give me some info about this gun and the value of it? I really appreciate all the help I can get. Thanks

Finger Lock Nail

Firearm Gun Trigger Revolver Gun barrel
Gun Revolver Firearm Trigger Starting pistol
Revolver Gun Trigger Starting pistol Airsoft gun
Firearm Gun Trigger Revolver Gun accessory

·
Registered
24 Posts
Not original, but the sights were nicely done and the grips could be real ivory. I'll leave the value question to more knowledgeable members. That old sixgun would get shot if it passed through my hands.

·
Premium Member
6,582 Posts
The gun has a replacement 7 1/2" barrel with ramp front sight. Original 1909 Armys had a 5 1/2 barrel. Some jeweling has been done to the hammer as well. The stocks appear to be ivory of which the original gun had plain walnut. The frame was modified to accept what appears to be a S&W rear sight. Value is hard to determine as it has been customized and you have to find a buyer that appreciates what was done. Shooting from the hip, I would value it at $500 if the work was done right with the barrel and rear sight for its shootable status. If you know how to do an internet search, you can find a pic of what an original Colt 1909 Army looks like and show it to the person who believe this is all original.

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
All original with S&W rear sight, nah. Replacement barrel, sights, grips, and finish with the wonderful 80's jewelling. Not much original about it but it is a neat pistol. It's a shooter, nothing more.

·
Registered
12,294 Posts
What is your coworker wanting for the pistol? If he wants to sell it he should set the price.

As others have noted it has a beautiful set of stocks, but it has been polished and jeweled, and the barrel is of unknown parentage noting the hand stamped caliber.

·
Registered
9,901 Posts
That is a nicely "targetized" Colt. The grips are great. I like everything about the gun. Those grips are very pricy all by themselves if they are in fact ivory which I think they are. Is there an almost invisible plug on the right side of the barrel where a Colt SAA ejector rod housing used to be? If so, that could be a Christy SA barrel. Value? I think maybe $650 tops. But I live in the alternate universe of Ca. where all guns cost more.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have not seen the gun in person yet so I don't know for sure how all the work has been done. He is asking a $1000 for it. I thought if it was original that would be a good deal but know that I know there is a lot or customizing work done its not near as good as a deal. Thanks for everyone's help.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Unfortunately, from a collector's standpoint, this is an example of someone spending several hundred dollars to turn a $2000.00 revolver into a $500.00 gun.

The work, however was probably done at a time when there was not that much value attached to the 1909 Model as there is now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Here is another colt that he is thinking about selling. He told me that its a 1890's all original other then the grips which he has the original ones at home. He told me $5,000.00 on this one. I am not looking to buy this one but wanted to know what you guys thought of it. Thanks

Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Gun accessory
Gun Trigger Revolver Starting pistol Shotgun
Gun Firearm Revolver Trigger Gun accessory
Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Gun accessory
Gun Revolver Shotgun Trigger Gun accessory

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I've seen several of those modified with S&W rear sight and ramp front sight added. They make great shooters and look good if properly done. I have a couple of very nicely reworked 45 Colts that were priced so reasonable I couldn't pass them up, and liked them so well I kept them. I believe I paid $400 for one and the other was part of a multiple gun buy, and probably somewhat less. If those are genuine Ivory grips, that's a pricey addition, but the coloring looks a bit "off" to me for aged ivory. I'm on the bitter half's laptop, which doesn't have the best resolution or color display.

After taking a closer look at the pictures, and the barrel markings, I believe the barrel may be one of the Numrich Arms after market barrels they once sold for the New Service guns.

·
Registered
10,482 Posts
First - start talking to other guys at work - the ones who 'don't' want to screw you...

Then - if you're gonna collect Colts - spend some money and buy books - Sutherland and Wilson's 'The Book of Colt Firearms' is a great way to get started.

Fjestad's 'The Blue Book of Gun Values' has a pretty decent color layout of how to guage original finish - their pricing may well be quite different for your region, so pay more attention to condition and scarcity values.

Learn what they looked like 'before' they were reblued, added to and polished to death.

Then - go to gun shows and 'look' at what you're actually interested in, and respectfully ask questions and ask for help - 'good' dealers will want to help and will happily show you different things - just don't start asking at the day's peak of business - do it in the afternoon.

Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
Collect older handguns from Colt and S&W primarily
432 Posts
1909 Army

That's a nice gun and would be fun to shoot, but just so you know what an original 1909 Army looks like, here's a photo of mine...

Attachments

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
First - start talking to other guys at work - the ones who 'don't' want to screw you...

Then - if you're gonna collect Colts - spend some money and buy books - Sutherland and Wilson's 'The Book of Colt Firearms' is a great way to get started.

Fjestad's 'The Blue Book of Gun Values' has a pretty decent color layout of how to guage original finish - their pricing may well be quite different for your region, so pay more attention to condition and scarcity values.

Learn what they looked like 'before' they were reblued, added to and polished to death.

Then - go to gun shows and 'look' at what you're actually interested in, and respectfully ask questions and ask for help - 'good' dealers will want to help and will happily show you different things - just don't start asking at the day's peak of business - do it in the afternoon.

Good Luck!
Thinking you might want to stay away from folks at work that want to sell you stuff. The best feature on the New Service is the ivory. The originality of the rest of the revolver was modified long ago and while a nice job of it, it's not a $1K gun. I am not as up to speed on old SAA but we have enough members that are and will tell to back away from that one as well. Seems your work "buddy" wants to finance his next vacation on your ignorance of Colt values.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.