Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a Colt Detective Special. I paid 330.00 for it and it appears to be NIB. There is not a scratch on the frame, no wear on the face of the cylinder, no scratches on the wood grips, NOT EVEN A TURN MARK ON THE CYLIDER. I bought this to be a shooter and I don't have the heart now to shoot it, at all. I also have a Colt Agent that has some frame wear but it tight and has a great trigger pull. The only thing that worries me about the Agent is the aluminum frame and the use if any of +p ammo. My problem is, should I find another Detective Special to be a shooter and to be carried or should I just use the agent and limit my use of +p ammo?

·
Registered
794 Posts
norfdet, nice score! That was a pretty good deal you made.

My opinion FWIW, is don't use +P in the Agent. You really have no need to. If you want to use +P, shoot/carry the steel framed DS. There has been a lot written here on the subject of using +P ammo in alloy framed guns. The newer Agents can handle some use of +P according to the factory manual, but will accelerate wear. The older Agents are not approved for even occasional use.

One view is to practice with the 38 special, but load the +P for carry (business) use. Assuming you won't have to use it, no additional wear will occur due to the +P. But then you won't have practiced with the +P either. You have a steel frame gun that can easily handle the +P, so why burden the Agent? It hardly make any sense.

The point being is something I learned many years ago from my father. It was true back then, is true today and will still be true tomorrow. While I was working on a new project, a 30-06 Ackley Improved, my Dad asked what was the point. Simple. I could approach and equal the velocity and energy of the 300 H&H Mag with the Wildcat Ackley Improved. To him it was simple as well. Meaning if you want 300 H&H velocities, go and buy a 300 H&H. Or put differently: If you want more performance out of a weapon, don't hot rod the one you have, just get a gun meant for that performance level.

So I see your dilemma as the same thing with the +P in an Agent. It was never designed for a steady diet of hot ammo. Can it take some occasionally, of course. But why would you want to when you have the gun designed to do exactly what you want. Just because the DS is pretty and in perfect shape? I can't argue there, as I feel your pain. But DS's are actually rather common even in LNIB condition.

You are really lucky to have such problems!

·
Registered
448 Posts
I would keep the DS, NIB. That is what I do when I find an absolutely NIB gun. It is real easy to find a slightly used gun for a shooter. The NIB guns are getting harder to find every day. Besides, your Colt Agent will work as a shooter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts