Colt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 6" Nickel Python that letters with Class C standard level scroll engraving. I know Colt had four Classes of standard level engraving, A, B, C, and D, with D being the most coverage. I've seen pictures of Pythons and letters that list for example Class C standard level scroll engraving, that have slightly different amounts of coverage even though the letter state Class C standard level for each. My question is did Colt have a standard illustation or guide for the engravers to go by? How strict was this standard? or was it left up mostly to the discretion of the engraver.
Thanks.

· Premium Member
4,768 Posts
I think the "standard illustration guide" was just that, a guide. Based on guns I have and others I have seen, the journeyman engravers stuck pretty closely to the guide, but Master Engravers were allowed a lot of leeway for their artistry. I have several Master Engraved Buntline Specials that letter as B or C engraving but exhibit considerably greater coverage than you would expect.
- - Bruce in Ohio

· Premium Member
4,768 Posts
Is your gun a new one (2020 or later)? Or is it an older one? I ask this because all my information is based on observations of "vintage" Single Action Army revolvers. In days past, sometimes engravers signed their work on the grip frame, usually on the front strap or butt on the right side. Have you looked there for a signature?
In general, Archive letters will only mention a name if the gun was Master Engraved. Journeyman engraved guns, while factory engraved, will not be associated with an engraver name. Also, most any factory engraved SAA (not sure about other models) with have "COLT ENGR." stamped on the left side of the grip frame.
- - - Bruce in Ohio

1 - 11 of 11 Posts