Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you seen the writeup on the Colt "Commercial Model" in the June/July American Rifleman? First I thought it was serial number C 93, but the serial number had been photo-shopped out, and was serial number was C 93XXX.

Referred to as the "Commercial Model", but Colt's catalogs called it the "Government Model", and was replaced by the "Model 70". Also, the GOVERNMENT MODEL over the serial number was moved to the slide after 1938. The author does note that the stocks are not original.

The American Rifleman does not accept submissions. The articles are written by the Field Editors, and entertaining if nothing else.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I saw that article yesterday. I have noticed that more of the write ups in the American Rifleman are being tailored to the un-informed masses.

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts

·
Registered
11,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For the past few years I receive an issue of the American Rifleman, flip through it in about 5 minutes and throw it in the trash.
How I wish that magazine could be like the ones from the '50', 60's and '70's
Same here. Occasionally there will be a historical article, but for the most part it has turned into just another gun rag.

·
Registered
54 Posts
For the past few years I receive an issue of the American Rifleman, flip through it in about 5 minutes and throw it in the trash.
Yep ! as JohnnyP said ..."Occasionally there will be a historical article " I'll read that..
And the Armed Citizen page. maybe the " I have this old gun " page.
That is after I cleared all of the stuffing rejoin NRA cards.
Totally skip the political musings, then toss aside...

·
Registered
111 Posts
Like saintclair, and Major II, I have watched AR deteriorate over the last 20 years or so into primarily self-serving political columns and warmed-over press releases from firearms manufacturers. Sorry but I just don't care what the latest plastic wonder pistol or rifle is. I also have grown tired of the never-ending National Peoples Radio style begging campaigns for more money to support their free-spending bureaucracy.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Those too young to recall when the NRA was firearms oriented rather than politically oriented would be dumbfounded by the Rifleman magazines of that lost era. A decade or so ago the NRA arbitrarily quite sending me the Rifleman. I was initially miffed--but soon realized they had done me a favor.

·
Registered
7,964 Posts
I read the article on the M1917 Revolvers although a good write up it didn't inform me of much I wasn't already aware of..

Yea they must spend hundreds of dollars sending out "Membership renewals" to people who BTW are life members.

Our gun club NRA membership was mandatory to be a member, but has since been changed to any pro-gun group like GOA, SAF, etc.

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Isn’t that the truth. What gets me is how they push alot of expensive new guns and equipment that don’t do anything special. I have to laugh at times about the groups they post, hardly worth the extra money for the product.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
They published my letter in December 2020 along with a picture of my gun….
3F1B994F-A419-43FE-A2D0-EF88B56CB65A.jpeg

Reactions: cloverleaf

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Our gun club NRA membership was mandatory to be a member, but has since been changed to any pro-gun group like GOA, SAF, etc.
Ours is the same, wish they would accept other organizations too. Oh well, I’m paid up with nra until 2030.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The private range I was part of , requires NRA membership proof, in addition to a yearly membership of $160, which was raised for 2020 to $200... Then Covid, kept it shut down much of 2020.
I opted out...

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am a Life Member since 1967, a Benefactor since 1996. I also have a nearly complete American Rifleman collection from 1945 to 1985, with a few earlier issues. The issues for the past 35 years have been discarded. The quality of the old issues, and the old organization as well, is far superior to the present.
In my opinion, of course.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts