Colt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
IMAG5686.jpg IMAG5687.jpg IMAG5627.jpg IMAG5628.jpg IMAG5685.jpg i was not sure if the engraving was correct but when i got the letter it showed the pistol going to texas- i googled the name and saw he was a ww2 vet and lived in texas. the previous owner told me it was from his grandpa to his uncle to him. i am assuming it was used in ww2 as a result of the personal engraving or kept in the regiment untill ww2?... any thoughts? i know stories are BS 90% of the time but the letter did connect the dots/ the pistol i was told was restored years ago..i am curios on this one...sorry the picture is a bit out of focus....i just got some original grips....

·
Premium Member
9,519 Posts
The gun appears to be an average refinish (far from "restored"), so the World War II veteran probably either bought the gun on the surplus market in the 1950s and had it "customized" then, or "liberated" it from the service and did the same. The removal of the property stamp was an unfortunate byproduct of the times. I cannot imagine the previous owner selling such a family heirloom, so, to me, that fact discounts the "story" a great deal. Does the family name connect up to the story?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Us property stamp is not ground off...it is there as is all correct markings..this year has the "u.s property" above the serial number-not on the left side. IMAG5687.jpg

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
I like it and if the provenance is factual all the better. As far as restored versus refinished, I'm not knowledgeable enough to be exact though I'd venture to say Mr. McCrory (rhmc24), an esteemed restorer of firearms and a member on this forum could clarify the difference. Refinishing is basically replacing the old finish with a new finish :) Restoring is to bring the original as close to original as possible without any "new" involved (well that's what they say about antique non-firearm pieces anyways). I'm certain if I mis-state anything I will be corrected ;)

·
Premium Member
9,519 Posts
A "restored" gun will look identical to an original gun. A "refinished" gun has the finish replaced, and usually does not look original. This gun has very "soft" lines and certainly does not look original, in contour or finish texture.

I should have checked my Clawson for the date of the change of the property stamp to the right side. I thought it was after 1918, but it was in the middle of 1918. Had I looked at the serial number on the letter, I probably would have realized this gun is a later one. Sorry for the error.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I tend to agree with JudgeColt's distinctions above. But, to me... there is no real difference between a restored or refinished pistol. They are both non-original, and both have a "new" finish on the gun. More often than not, these pistols are over restored to look like something that never was.

There may very well be a market for the restored pistol (aka. Turnbull), but I would not pay a premium for one unless I HAD to have that particular pistol because of rarity of some other unknown factor.

We all make mistakes... some (me) more than others!

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
It is very interesting that many people felt the need to grind off the U.S. Property marks when they stole a pistol. This guy engraved his name on it! I think it is an interesting gun for that reason alone but it is fairly poorly refinished with soft edges, a matte blue finish but bright blue small parts, wrong grips, etc.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i feel the same way-you can/not re-new anything; 1914 036.jpg that is to say i have never seen any pistol restored to the condition of any of my N.I.B unfired colts. a good example is the blue hue color change at the interface on early colts at the half way point on the frame at the grips. i also feel i have two facts(letter/engraving) to sustain more evidance than the hypethetical series of events(with no facts to show) stated by others. cool. i am glad i am not the only one who thinks you cannot re-new a pistol....by yhe way-the pics above show the color change-this is a 95% condition 1913 i have...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts