Colt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I used bullets cast from the Lyman #427666 mold, 33gr Pyrodex P, Winchester brass, and CCI large pistol primers. It's alot of work for a single stage press. Notice the drop tube on the right, it goes to the Lyman 55 black powder measure. <br><br>I placed a Colt Sheriff's Model .44-40 revolver in front of the ammunition boxes for the photograph.

·
Premium Member
6,339 Posts
You are really going to make some smoke and noise with those loads. Blackpowder ammo has a different sound than smokeless.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Ha! Someone actually doing it (loading the 44-40) instead of carrying on about how hard it is with the thin neck brass, etc etc whine whine....
Nice setup and thanks for sharing / posting your pictures
Of course we'll be looking in the range report section for the results........

Have fun making smoke
rayb

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Good going!

I am way behind on getting on to loading my own .44-40 and it is nice to see your progress with it!

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Sixgun
Congratulatons, if you are just starting out with the .44-40 I think you will enjoy it. I've loaded hundreds of them myself, it's one of my favorite cartridges. I don't think it's a great deal harder to reload than any other bottleneck cartridge. It does require paying attention & not jamming a case into the sizer. If it feels a little different when sizeing it just stop & find out what is different. They do require a bit of care in crimping too, but again it's a matter of adjusting your dies & bullet seating depth correctly. It's a great cartridge & not overly difficult to reload. I think the pleasure far oughtweighs any difficulty encountered in loading it.

I'm one who isn't griping about how hard it is to reload. A little care & paying attention to detail will show it's really not that hard to reload & it is an enjoyable cartridge to use.:)
Frank

·
Registered
176 Posts
I've loaded .44-40 with black powder for cowboy action shooting the last 5 years. I agree that as long as you pay attention it is no harder than any other caliber. For CAS shooting I have never bothered with a drop tube. I only use one for .45/70 used in long range competition.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts