Colt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been looking for a blued engraved example and I like this one. Except for the gold “ACE” on the loading gate. If it didn’t have that it would be mine I think. I don’t know how the gold fill is done? Is it permanent? The fact that it has pearls is appealing too.....

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/831054309

·
Registered
8,057 Posts
There are some folks here, that won’t pay that kind of money for that gun....I have sold Engraved Used SAA’s for a lot more.

If you look at the price for a NIB Colt ordered from the factory, add engraving costs and special grips It will exceed the asking price.

It boils down to, If you like it, and can afford it, then treat yourself.

Disclaimer: I have a PHD in spending other folks money and hold a Professor Position at the "School of Enablers”.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Nasty turn line on the cylinder, I think ACE is someones initials, think it would be easy enough to get rid of that.
Are those Mother of Plastic grips, if real, that would add a few $$ to the price. Not an expert, but the price is just a tad high for what I see.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I like my engraved guns to be silver or nickel. On a rare occasion a case colored gun will call my name. All blue leave me cold.

But if it calls your name you could always adopt the nickname of ACE.

But what do I know..... my only P.H.D. is a post hole digger.

·
Registered
6,612 Posts
Easy to pull the loading gate, polish it off and reblue it. ACE would be an easy fix. Cylinder is a mess obviously but again, easily polished and reblued as well. Timing needs to be fixed. Real pearl is a bonus, just not very well fit. $3200? Overly rich for the condition. Send the guy and email for what you are willing to spend knowing what you are looking at going in, because you'll spend $500 to $800 to fix everything. More yet to make it perfect. But on the seller's side, pearl, gold inlays and a early 2nd gen in 38 Special...and the box?

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination but that does seem a little spendy. Also not a fan of pearls on anything but that why they make different grips.
On the other hand, you could buy it, leave the ACE and tell everybody you won it in a backroom poker game.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I think if I were to get another engraved gun I'd probably go with nickel plated. I would prefer blue and case hardened to all blue but those 2nd gen guns are always tempting.

·
Premium Member
19,002 Posts
Terry D's engraving is of very high quality! I have seen him and some of his work at local gun shows. It is too bad that the gun was 'out of tune' causing that ugly cylinder ring.

·
Premium Member
19,002 Posts
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/838108688

This one has been getting a look too. Would have to do something about the grips. Seems like a bargain if it went under 3k? Not to mention the engraver is fairly well known.
Engraving quality on this SAA is greatly inferior to the engraving that Terry D. did on the SAA with ACE on the loading gate. I would opt for the better quality.

·
Registered
6,612 Posts
Stix said:
.... Seems like a bargain if it went under 3k? Not to mention the engraver is fairly well known.
On engraved guns there are no real "bargains" unless you commission it yourself and get everything you want done. There is a big difference in workmanship and quality between a $3K gun and a $4K gun and another jump yet in quality again to the $5K engraved guns if you are an astute shopper.

When you realize that $2500 and your gun shipped off to many of the well know engravers will get you a nickeled, C+ engraved SAA back the prices asked on GB or elsewhere aren't as attractive as they once were.

My suggestion on engraved guns is first, decide what you want done and go looking for a finished gun that actually fits those requirements. Or decide what you what done and ship a gun off to a reputable engraver. "Bargain" guns picked up off Gunbroker and the like are being sold there as "bargains" for a reason. "No one wants them". Have a gun engraved with an attractive pattern, by a master engraver, and you have a fine investment worth more than you paid for it on receipt. And it will be easy to resale.

DSC04484.jpg

·
Registered
345 Posts
I had a non-SAA pistol that had the gold on it like this. The company that did the gold work warned not to use aerosol brake cleaner (some use brake clear to clean their guns) on it because it could take the gold off. I don't know what it would do to the gun finish but that might be a way to remove the gold ACE. But it also may only do a half-way job which would be even worse.

I can say there is no way I would pay that for that gun. It looks like someone has been twirling it on their finger, dropped it, left it for long periods in a moist environment, and spun the cylinder like they saw in the movies. But, knock two grand off and I'm in.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts