Colt Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My cousin's best friend was this cutie pie she knew since high school. She kind of looked like that girl on Storage Wars who buys lockers with her bald boyfriend and they pretend to argue all the time. Man, was she fun. Very adventurous and would not refuse the wildest dare, even in public. My big brother just died and by coincidence he knew this girl earlier. My reflections of him reminded me of all this. Anyway, I was shooting off my cousin's back deck once, this was the mid 80's, and she said she had a gun and pulled a Det. Special out of her purse. It was a later one with extractor shroud and factory grips. It shot great. I don't know why I never bought one. I wonder what ever became of that girl. I liked her, her Colt Detective Special, and the fact she left her boyfriend home whenever she visited my cousin.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Ahhh she sounds terrific, WB. A "man's" woman, the best kind.

Like to drink and swear a little, just enough not to be stuffy. A 3-D, honest to goodness woman. And that one liked to shoot as well. Thats the jackpot

One went through my life awhile back. She was never boring. She was........fascinating.

Memories.

Prayers for your brother sent, as well.

·
Registered
9,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry to hear about your brother passing Matt.
Thanks. He was only 62, six years older than me. While I have a more artistic angle I'm not mechanical. My brother was very mechanical and a little artistic. My dad could do anything. He could have built a space shuttle in his shop, probably. My brother just got a new grandson right before he died. The way I put it to my little sister is, a big tree falls in the forrest but there's a little sprout of a tree to take it's place. My brother had a few guns. I went to Nevada once and gave him a chromed S&W Victory model .38. I read somewhere that in the Pacific during WW2 airplain mechanics would chrome these guns sometimes so they wouldn't get rusty in the pilot's shoulder holster. I passed that info on to my brother true or not. I'm gonna miss that big biker.

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
Fun and thoughtful story Matt. I lost my brother a couple years ago and, like you, I often reflect back on our time and experience together. He was the one who taught me to shoot. We lived near the Everglades. He was 14 years older than me and when he preached gun safety, man, I listened. Sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
9,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fun and thoughtful story Matt. I lost my brother a couple years ago and, like you, I often reflect back on our time and experience together. He was the one who taught me to shoot. We lived near the Everglades. He was 14 years older than me and when he preached gun safety, man, I listened. Sorry for your loss.
Thank you. I was the gun guy, my brother was the car guy. I went through this faze where, up at my dad's I would bring a brick of .22 cartridges, my Ruger O.M. single six and my dad's O.M. Ruger .22. I would then practice hip, or point shooting at cans or small chunks of wood. I started to get a good feel of it. My brother went out with me once and tried it and was a natural at it. He was the same as me but it was his first time and I had been at it a while.

·
Administrator
7,337 Posts
Sorry to hear of your loss .

Great memories !

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
A sad, bittersweet but yet respectful nostalgic reminisce. I've experienced that a few times myself and I can totally relate. Ain't it funny how a close family loss will activate long dormant memories? May you and your family's healing come quickly so you may sooner celebrate your brother's eternal happiness. GBU all, Matt!

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Wyatt, my condolences on the loss of your brother. When I was in college I dated an "older" (I was 20, she was 24) divorced woman. Her dad had given her his early '70's Detective Special for protection. She used to keep in on the seat of a rocking chair next to her bed when she slept. The first time I saw it I picked it up and swung out the cylinder to unload it and check it out. It was loaded with lead hollow based wadcutters seated backwards. She said her dad made those loads up specially for the DS. She was a little blond cutie, about 4'10" and 90 lbs sopping wet but she said she wasn't worried about unwanted visitors with her daddy's Colt next to her bed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.