Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I retired several years ago, I opened a small gun shop. Because of my love of old guns, I have people bring me such fun old guns to look at and sometimes buy. The other day a gentleman brought in a half dozen guns from his father's estate. Most were mundane, but one was a sweet Colt 1877 Thunderer with most of the finish remaining. Such a nice little gun. Hopefully, when he decided to sell, it will pass my way again.
I do love my job. :)

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
When I retired several years ago, I opened a small gun shop. Because of my love of old guns, I have people bring me such fun old guns to look at and sometimes buy. The other day a gentleman brought in a half dozen guns from his father's estate. Most were mundane, but one was a sweet Colt 1877 Thunderer with most of the finish remaining. Such a nice little gun. Hopefully, when he decided to sell, it will pass my way again.
Yeah, ain't it great !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: Bartleylaw

·
Registered
758 Posts
You ain't just a kidin Doc.............Wish I would have done it about 30 years ago....

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Sounds mighty nice!

I have been brooding on maybe doing something similar one of these days.

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Hi Doc, Happy for you and how you spend your days.. Not quite there yet myself. I grew up not far from you and still get up that way to see the folks.. Would enjoy a visit if possible.. Take care and as always... " post some pics"!!

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
This won't be my autobio - I already did that with my Memoir, here just my shop life. 1960s with a young family, mortgage, etc. I couldn't afford guns I wanted so I bought beaters and repaired them. Over time I realized the difference between repair & restoration. That being NY state, I was into pre-perc, flints and earlier. As I climbed the organizational ladder at Pan Am, my shop was a relief valve from company stresses. My shop took me into a world of it's own. My work was good enuf that I never had to deal with the public, my high level collectors & dealers gave me all the work I could do, maybe six clients from the '60s to date. Now only two left and me with failing thrust, most of my work is on my own stuff.

Aside from the fun-money it brought, my reward is in memory lane about the great rarities I had in my hands & worked on, pieces that usually are seen only in museums behind glass - if seen at all.

·
Premium Member
4,604 Posts
I've been speaking to the man fairly regularly these days Jeff so I put in a good word for you. Now, he didn't make any promises, but he said to keep an eye out from the south east one of these days soon.

Bud

When one cares for horses, there is no such thing as retirement. I'm talking about the type that need grain every morning and sweet alfalfa when the pasture isn't producing. Sure could use some rain out here.....

·
Registered
107 Posts
I retired at the end of 2013, after twenty five years with the FAA as an Air Traffic Controller and Supervisor. I'm enjoying the peace and serenity of my 'New' job and am great-full for the opportunities which allowed me to retire at a young age. I look forward to reacquainting myself with shooting sports, fishing, and other interests. If there's time - perhaps part time work (Hopefully there won't be enough of that).

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi Doc, Happy for you and how you spend your days.. Not quite there yet myself. I grew up not far from you and still get up that way to see the folks.. Would enjoy a visit if possible.. Take care and as always... " post some pics"!!
Be happy to have you visit! Just let me know so I'm here. Doc

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I retired at the end of 2013, after twenty five years with the FAA as an Air Traffic Controller and Supervisor. I'm enjoying the peace and serenity of my 'New' job and am great-full for the opportunities which allowed me to retire at a young age. I look forward to reacquainting myself with shooting sports, fishing, and other interests. If there's time - perhaps part time work (Hopefully there won't be enough of that).
Check you local small shop. I have 3 retired guys who work part time when they aren't off shooting or hunting. Great for them and great for me.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.