Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:bang_wall:

I have a new to me 78 New Frontier. I found a nice vintage set of Herrett grips that I have fitted to my NF. But of course the Herretts do not have Colt medallions and I would like to install some. I do have a pair of correct medallions, the forstner bit, and have done this on several Rugers I have owned.

Looking at the original Colt walnut grips there seems to be a 2-1 ratio of the lower and front spacing to the top spacing on placing the medallion. Does this sound correct to you? Or am I just over thinking it :confused:

Thanks in advance,
Jim

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
:bang_wall:

I have a new to me 78 New Frontier. I found a nice vintage set of Herrett grips that I have fitted to my NF. But of course the Herretts do not have Colt medallions and I would like to install some. I do have a pair of correct medallions, the forstner bit, and have done this on several Rugers I have owned.

Looking at the original Colt walnut grips there seems to be a 2-1 ratio of the lower and front spacing to the top spacing on placing the medallion. Does this sound correct to you? Or am I just over thinking it :confused:

Thanks in advance,
Jim
My first thought is, they're Herrett's grips, what does it matter? Suit yourself as to what looks best to you.

And, I think you're over thinking it.

Bob Wright

P.S. This opinion from one who prefers no medallions.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
I don't subscribe to the "over thinking it" train of thought. I think it would be a cool and unique personalization of your personal gun. That's what it's all about.

Now to your 1st question: As I recall the Herrets are longer and have a wood filler behind the grip frame or are you talking about standard size grip replacements. If standard size I would position the medallions exactly like Colt. If oversize grips, they may have to be lower to not look scrunched up in the upper corner of the grip. Hope that helps.

Jim

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Either centered, or no medallion at all.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
There're not Colt grips, it will look much better to leave the medallions off.

Best regards,

·
Registered
386 Posts
How does the position look to the original? Centered, or 2:1, that's what I'd go by. I'd like medallions on it, had them installed on Hogue wood grips for a Diamondback. My vote is medallions on.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
I like the medallions in the top photo. I would mount them exactly in the same position from the two straight edges as the factory Colt grips.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
It's your gun and your grips and you can do what ever pleases you...but if we're voting, I vote no medallions.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks to all for your thoughts. :cool:
I mounted them this afternoon in the 2-1 ratio shown in the top pic. Drilling the mount hole was tricky as the mount location varies in thickness. So I needed to do the same with the hole which is difficult when using a forstner bit in a drill press. But I am happy with the outcome.

Thanks again,
Jim

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Posted September 17, 2053:

I have this old gun which I believe was made by the old Colt firm. It is in fair condition, about 50% finish remains. The grips don't seem to be original. Can anyone verify that this gun came with such big grips? And they seem to be made of some kind of natural fiber?

Puzzled

1 - 20 of 23 Posts