Colt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This Diamondback .38 is listed locally as about 70% finish and mechanically sound at $500. I said I'd take it last night but the seller was going to wait till today to let me know as he got a couple PMs before me. Before that happened I bailed out on my offer but then he wrote and said he was going to sell it to me. So, maybe I'll check it out tomorrow. He lives in my town. I was kind of burnt out on wheeling and dealing guns and will not buy one unless I sell another first, or right after even though I have the $500. I'm just tired of adding new stuff. So, if i get the Diamondback I think the Colt Officer's Model will be sold to make room for this one. Here's a weird picture of it...

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
don't sell a gun just to buy another one.
don't you end up regretting selling cool guns that you used to own?
i know i do. keep the damn thing and buy the diamondback.

·
Registered
8,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
don't sell a gun just to buy another one.
don't you end up regretting selling cool guns that you used to own?
i know i do. keep the damn thing and buy the diamondback.
I sold a lot of guns and haven't regretted it in the last twenty five years. Back then there sure is a few. But, like I told a member here yesterday what I've been thinking for a couple years, the old adage that sometimes your possesions can come to own you.

·
Premium Member
5,854 Posts
Somewhere down the road its $300 for Colt to make it look new, then its a $1000 gun. Or love it as it is and shoot the heck out of it, this is the best shooting example of a D frame. My safes are over crowded and I have guns that I will move someday but I can't pass up deals along the way. You can cram a sh*tload of handguns in a safe. This gun is for someone who can't afford 1K for a mint diamondback but wants one to shoot. If it were a local sale, I would add it to the 2 other diamondbacks I have and then pass it on to a friend or walk around a gun show with it.

·
Registered
8,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought the Diamondback. The seller is a cop who bought it new in '77 or '78, fired it less than 100 rounds, then gave it to his dad for twenty five years or so who kept it in a moist environment which caused the finish troubles. Other than that it's like a new gun with a perfect bore which didn't get messed up. I'm pretty pleased with it and pick it up in ten grueling days.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I sold a lot of guns and haven't regretted it in the last twenty five years. Back then there sure is a few. But, like I told a member here yesterday what I've been thinking for a couple years, the old adage that sometimes your possesions can come to own you.
not when you can sell them for more than you paid.
congrats on the diamondback purchase. you know nickel hides a lot of sins.
that's what i think i'd do. :)

·
Registered
8,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
not when you can sell them for more than you paid.
congrats on the diamondback purchase. you know nickel hides a lot of sins.
that's what i think i'd do. :)
Here's how I make my wife roll her eyes. By saying, "But, babe, it's a great investment!"
I'm the guy who's always saying "don't refinish", but I really like your idea.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Wyatt I just bought a $500 DB 1977 two weeks ago from a buddy at Shooters World. Today the frame sits at Fords in Florida for Master Bluing and the grips are with Swamprat getting finished. $1000 is the mark and I am anxious to having it complete.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Congrats Matt, glad you picked it up. I saw it too.

Several years ago I picked up a DB in like condition from D.R.E. (wonder what happened to him). I used it for a while as a shooter and realized the D frame was too small for my hand. I sent it back to Colt, the first gun I ever had reblued. I had the Royal Blue finish done (even though that was a Python finish), it came back beautiful. I found a perfect set of stocks from a member here. Man talking about turning the ugly duck into a Swan!! I've never shot it since I got it back. Thats the problem with a Colt refinish - they look so good its hard to shoot em.

Enjoy your new Snake!!!

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Man talking about turning the ugly duck into a Swan!! I've never shot it since I got it back. Thats the problem with a Colt refinish - they look so good its hard to shoot em.
Ditto! Very well said for I am on that program with a few Pythons.

·
Registered
8,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Congrats Matt, glad you picked it up. I saw it too.

Several years ago I picked up a DB in like condition from D.R.E. (wonder what happened to him). I used it for a while as a shooter and realized the D frame was too small for my hand. I sent it back to Colt, the first gun I ever had reblued. I had the Royal Blue finish done (even though that was a Python finish), it came back beautiful. I found a perfect set of stocks from a member here. Man talking about turning the ugly duck into a Swan!! I've never shot it since I got it back. Thats the problem with a Colt refinish - they look so good its hard to shoot em.

Enjoy your new Snake!!!
I knew you had to have seen it. you are very fast on the draw on there. Since this gun has only had two boxes of ammo or less through it I'll really consider refinishing it. The seller said his dad kept it hid in the bathroom. But it's not near THAT bad. I like keeping guns originalbecause of honest wear. Not steam from a hot shower.
And Primer88, I can't wait to see how yours turns out. Be sure to show us when it's all done. I have started to appreciate original grips on Colts and S&W's and these Diamondbacks feel and look great.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts