Colt Forum banner

21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Or, you could do like my (now deceased) brother in law and have a friend call the house and ask for "Ken". The wife says, "Ken is not here, he went to the gun club". The friend then says "I just wanted to congratulate him on winning the raffle for the xxxxx rifle at the club. "Ken" walks into the house a bit later and the wife is all excited for him and asks to see his new rifle. As far as I know, the wife never found out about "the sting". Another thing that you can do (also only works once) is to wrap up the new gun and mix it in with other presents under the tree marked "To: John From: Santa. Eventually, that present will be handed out (with no one knowing what it is) to be opened. When opened, the proud owner says "Look dear, Santa wanted me to have this new Baretta (or whatever) pistol! Then you will get "the look" with "ok, you got away with that this time but don't try it again" muttered under her breath. Sometimes you just have to be creative!

·
Registered
631 Posts
Could be worse...my dad’s an FFL and consequently I funnel 99% of my purchases through him. We were visiting him around the holidays and my wife was going on about the $4,000.00 adjustable mattress we just “had” to have. I kept shooting it down and then my dad chimes in, “Well I was adding up all your gun purchases for this year and you could have bought one of those mattresses for every room in yall’s house!” Thanks Old Man! The new mattress is getting delivered tomorrow...

·
Registered
528 Posts
I've had wives before who thought what I earned was theirs to decide what I needed. They were very expensive mistakes at the end of those relationships. However for the past 12 years the current wife thinks I deserve to buy whatever I want and she enjoys me being happy having anything I want from Rolex's to Corvette's and yes to all the guns I can stuff into my safe. I found the perfect woman for me to have and to cherish the rest of my life. She says that since I suffered so much in all the previous marriages, I deserve to enjoy a blessed life now.... What an Angel the Lord has blessed me with. I also give this Angel the best I can.

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
We've been married 50 years last December. I just say, "But it was on sale!".

She is a sucker for buying stuff she or we don't need just because it was on sale.
That reminds me soooo much of an old routine by the comic Gallagher...he really made you laugh at such observations of the human condition.

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
I've had wives before who thought what I earned was theirs to decide what I needed. They were very expensive mistakes at the end of those relationships. However for the past 12 years the current wife thinks I deserve to buy whatever I want and she enjoys me being happy having anything I want from Rolex's to Corvette's and yes to all the guns I can stuff into my safe. I found the perfect woman for me to have and to cherish the rest of my life. She says that since I suffered so much in all the previous marriages, I deserve to enjoy a blessed life now.... What an Angel the Lord has blessed me with. I also give this Angel the best I can.

Sounds like my experience...my first wife understood "I need" but had no conception of "I want". Wife 2.0 simply says "if you want it go ahead and get it." Life is much better now...I'm so thankful I have this wonderful woman in my life and the happiness she's given me.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
After you pass a few hundred guns she won't even know the difference.
Ha-ha! A wise and experienced man...

Skeeter who wrote a rather humorous tutorial on this very subject, sneaking long guns in past the wife's radar in a roll of carpet, smuthering her with small gifts and taking her out...just in case, hiding guns around the house, and later claiming, "That's been here for years." I learned a lot from "Skeet" and dearly miss his writing style.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
You could do what I did once (only works once), i told the wife that I accidently bought a gun on gunbroker! Yep, I bid on it and thought I would get outbid, but no one else bid and I won it by accident.

Al
Used that one already!!

Reactions: krag96 and WVCOLT

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Lot's of great responses! Truth is, we are building our new home in Wyoming and when she sees a new one just gives me that look and says, REALLY? We need to quit spending. I'll just tell her it's hers.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Lot's of great responses! Truth is, we are building our new home in Wyoming and when she sees a new one just gives me that look and says, REALLY? We need to quit spending. I'll just tell her it's hers.
That does not always work. Many years ago I bought a Marlin 39a Mountie and told my wife it was for her. She traided it for a horse! She seldom rode but it still took maintenance, pasture, feed on and on. The horse is long gone. But when I run across a Marlin 39a Mountie at a gun show, I make sure to show her the asking price.

Hope you like you like the new curtains that was bought with the money from selling you Colt.

·
Registered
284 Posts
How about lobster, wearing diamond earrings.
You, or the lobster?

Just remember this quote from Jeff Foxworthy.
Rule number one, if she ain't happy You ain't happy And if she ain't happy long enough You're gonna be unhappy with half your stuff!

Redneck or not, it's true. And I know from experience.

·
Registered
9,467 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Mine asked me about the cost of a double gun I bought about a year after we got married . When I told her it cost $1000 she wanted to know why she had not been consulted before I spent that much on a gun . My answer to that was " I did not spend your money , I spent mine . As long as I ain't asking you for money I won't be consulting you before buying one , didn't do that before we were married and am not starting it now " . That was the last time she asked about what I spend on personal items . I'm married ( 29 years and counting ) but I ain't Hen Pecked .

Hope that helps .

Eddie

·
Premium Member
4,438 Posts
I started collecting buying-selling shortly after getting married in 1982. I started off handing my wife a few benjamin franklins when I would come back from a gun show and she has never asked me about any of my purchases. She knows she's got a good thing going on. :cool:

21 - 40 of 74 Posts