Colt Forum banner

41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
I thought I was fooling my wife that way. Till one day she goes “well we’re gonna have to buy another safe the one we got is full”.That’s when I realized I was just fooling myself. That was 20 years ago and now we got five Safes four are full.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My wife has her interests and I have mine and we both have our little stashes of play money and it's worked great. My wife knows about my gun 'situation' but she also knows over the years I do only buy where there is value and I can sell, trade for the same or more and mostly that is true. On large projects like home renovations, trading cars, college, we do plan and decide as a team. Guns, shoes and handbags we stay totally out of it. I don't even go to my wife's purses to get the Costco card out. The clutter in it raises my blood pressure.

·
Registered
687 Posts
My wife tells me i seldom spend money on myself. I tell her it was a good buy and she says, “ yes, dear.of course it was”. And you know, collecting or amassing guns is less expensive by far than divorce.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I thought I was fooling my wife that way. Till one day she goes “well we’re gonna have to buy another safe the one we got is full”.That’s when I realized I was just fooling myself. That was 20 years ago and now we got five Safes four are full.
You need to build a vault.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
You could do what I did once (only works once), i told the wife that I accidently bought a gun on gunbroker! Yep, I bid on it and thought I would get outbid, but no one else bid and I won it by accident.

Al
I have actually done this, more than once.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
It took me 3 tries but I got a good one. She encourages me to buy guns! Along with my love of Colts I shoot bench rest rifles. They are custom built. Having a stock built that was
supposed to be done last January but am just getting it. When I commented "I can't believe how much that stock is going to cost me" she ask me how much. I ask her what her
guess was. She said $6,000. When I told her it was $2,000 she just looked at me.

·
Registered
641 Posts
When I leave the house with one gun and come back carrying two, I get the look. If I leave the house with two, I can bring in two no problem. She doesn't count the trips.

Later I starting setting up at some of the gun shows. One is out of town and where she likes to shop. When not shopping, she sits with me. I left the table to get some chow and a guy came back and bought a $2200 black diamond model 12 trap gun. She said, oh, I see.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I always thought that when I snuck a gun into the safe, I was good to go. If someday she asked about that new gun, I would just say it had been there a long time, just not shot often and I was safe, she didn't know. Then when we moved to a new house. I had to empty out the safe to move it, there were 2 guns in there that I didn't recognize, my wife said those had been there a long time.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I always thought that when I snuck a gun into the safe, I was good to go. If someday she asked about that new gun, I would just say it had been there a long time, just not shot often and I was safe, she didn't know. Then when we moved to a new house. I had to empty out the safe to move it, there were 2 guns in there that I didn't recognize, my wife said those had been there a long time.
I like that!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Ruster;
This is a golden opportunity for you to become the head of your household. With a smidgen of ambition, and little pride to stiffen your backbone, you could acquire a large amount of self respect.

My wife and I have been married for 68 years, Together we raised two sons, bought and paid for with money we earned, what we consider a nice comfortable home, Rvs, jewelry, gun collection, automobiles etc. Not one of those items was bought by ether my wife, or I without the others knowledge.

Now, about our gun collection. Not one of those guns, or related items, was acquired using household operating expense money. I found odd jobs, burned off scrap copper wire insulation, and sold it, etc., to earn money to buy our family's guns, and related items.

Doing things this way, even gives one a certain sense of pride.
That Ruster, is our way of doing it, and is my 2¢ opinion on the matter.

Sut

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
NEVER lie to the spouse. NEVER! Dishonesty only leads to more dishonesty, which leads to very expensive endings. just tell the truth from the start. Tis better to ask forgiveness than permission. I always just say "Oh lookey! Ima gonna get this" as she looks at whatever it is, rolls her eyes and says "Thats nice". Guess I'm lucky. My wife knows I work hard for what I have, and knows the bills always get paid first, so never complains about my toys.
That's the way it is with us. She says as long as we can afford it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The "trick" is to have so many that she can't tell the difference anymore! Convince her (ever so lovingly) that these are an investment in the event of your "demise."

·
Registered
8 Posts
About 8 or 9 years ago I saw a 1982 4-3/4" SAA, NIB w/ factory ivory for $1900 on GB. I had no idea what I was doing but clicked on the sellers details link and it turned out it was at a pawn shop about 10 miles from my house. I called them and said if you'll take $1700, out the door, you own the sales tax, I'll be there before you close. I really, really love that gun. And yes, I sent it to Nutmeg for an action job and have shot it and carried it. Decided I bought it for ME, not the next guy.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have been a lawyer for a good many years, and I have seen what happens in an estate when a collector has misled a spouse about the amount spent or the value of the item purchased:

First Scenario is when spouse has been told item was purchased for $250 instead of $1,750 - "Sure, I'll sell it for $250."

Second Scenario is when spouse has been told item is worth three times purchase price - "I know its worth $5,250, and I'll let it rust in the damp basement crawl space storage before I will sell for less than $5,000."

·
Registered
92 Posts
How much interest does you money make you if you leave it in a bank? How much does a quality gun incrase in value each year? When I started doing a little more serious collecting of older guns, I showed her the math and explained how I was looking out for her future financial well being when I'm gone. Interest is taxable, profit on sale of personal assets is not unless you are in business. Works great for C&R guns, not so well for modern guns. Example I showed her was I bought a pristine Johnson Automatic Rifle and someone wanted it real bad. Had the rifle just a little over 1 year and made $2500.00 after all costs.

41 - 60 of 74 Posts