Colt Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay, I respect most of the views here and am about to make a purchase in the next 30 minutes.....

What do you think about a Trooper III with the electrol- "Colt Gaurd" finish w/ factory grips in the 4"?

I haven't seen too many Troopers in such a finish before and the guy saleing it is easy to work with (used him before)..

I think I can get this 98% gun for just under $400...

Whadda think?

Lee

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
damn, ya'll keep reading but no opinions......it makes me wonder if everyone is jumping around to see if they can find it too....ROFL!

Just be happy for me and let me know what ya think.....

Lee

·
Registered
91 Posts
I think that $400 is a decent price for a Trooper Mark III. I don't see many with the Coltguard finish so I would say your getting a good deal.

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Blue Book is "retail" and is only a guide. It makes no distinction for caliber or barrel length for the MkIII, but that does not mean that some collectors don't. I can't say, personally.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I rarely see Colt Trooper Mark III revolvers for less than $400, and the last nickel Mark III I saw was $600 which I beleve was overpriced. What you need to ask yourselve is if you need a .357 revolver if you decide yes a nickel Trooper Mark III for $400 is a good deal. Trooper Mark III are not increasing in price in the same way that other Colt models are I would only buy the Trooper if you are planning to shoot and keep the revolver long term.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
[ QUOTE ]
I rarely see Colt Trooper Mark III revolvers for less than $400, and the last nickel Mark III I saw was $600 which I beleve was overpriced. What you need to ask yourselve is if you need a .357 revolver if you decide yes a nickel Trooper Mark III for $400 is a good deal. Trooper Mark III are not increasing in price in the same way that other Colt models are I would only buy the Trooper if you are planning to shoot and keep the revolver long term.

[/ QUOTE ]

First off, I dunno if anyone NEEDS a .357; however as another thread here agreed, its almost impossible to beat the Trooper III as far as "bang for the buck" (please excuse the pun).

Secondly, EVERYTHING I buy gets shot......I don't pay premiums for a "cyl. never turned" because I plan on spinning it.

With all of that being said, I buy things I like, but I do wanna know if I am getting a good deal and if I am enjoying a product not everyone else has.....

My next purchase will most likely be a DS 3rd Gen becasue I prefer the shrouded ejector over the exposed (regaurdless of value).....however I do want it for a fair-good price and in good-great shape.....and it will stay that way even after 500 rds thru it. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I did purchase the pistol.....even before the first response here (and I DO appriciate ya'lls cander and help). I will pick it up in 2 weeks near Austin,TX (no shipping) from a saler I have done business with before. Closing bid went for $390+ TX-tax.

Once again, thanks fella's.......I will enjoy my new find.

Lee

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
I buy things I like, but I do wanna know if I am getting a good deal and if I am enjoying a product not everyone else has

[/ QUOTE ]
I would say you got a decent deal. Most MkIIIs in decent condition seem to be going for around $400 give or take $50. In my neck of the woods you would have something different as the Colt Guard finish was never that popular.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
[quoteI would say you got a decent deal. Most MkIIIs in decent condition seem to be going for around $400 give or take $50. In my neck of the woods you would have something different as the Colt Guard finish was never that popular.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure why it wasn't popular.....it looks good and seems functional.

either way; thanks for the help and I'm happy.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Sorry I was too late to provide an opinion when needed. After the fact, I believe you did very well on this purchase. Of all my Troopers MKIII's, I like the E-nickel finish the best. Every original Trooper MKIII E-nickel I have seen, came with the Goodyear's pictured in your post. However they look very attractive if you fit a set of Target wood like those found on the blued guns.

Good score!

(And yes I have shot my E-nickel too.)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Lee,

Nice looking Trooper III. I would have paid $390 for it.

I have a Coltguard .22 mag Trooper III and it shines up really well.

Lorin

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Lee, If you need that much help, you might consider posting a little prior to your decision. I believe you already made your decision before posting without anyone's help. I also think you did just fine with the purchase. I would have bought it. Happy shooting!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
[ QUOTE ]
Lee, If you need that much help, you might consider posting a little prior to your decision. I believe you already made your decision before posting without anyone's help. I also think you did just fine with the purchase. I would have bought it. Happy shooting!

[/ QUOTE ]

ROFLMAO!

Yeah, I think I wanted someone to maybe talk me out of it...I saw we had 6 "regualr members here and was hoping someone would say "WATCH OUT!"

I would have given more notice, but only caught wind of it the day of auction.....I was shocked to see the price not rise. Next thing I know, no one bid on it and it was 2 hours left. At that point I was 99% sure I was going to snag it.

I have to admit however, I was nervous about saying anything then alerting another member here as to the buy then loosing the bid or getting into a bidding war with a fellow "buddy". (if you know what I mean)

Oh well, it all worked out. I am now thinking of mayby getting a matching Python now to complete the pair (an idea anyways).

Did they ever make an E-nickle Diamond back?

Lee

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I like to look at my potential purchases in person. I have yet to buy a gun on one of the autions sites. I've bid, have not been successful.

I think we all would have some hesitation about posting a question about something that is current at an auction site. From the sellers perspective, it's great. From my perspective, it s#cks.

There were no cataloged E-nickel Diamondbacks. But, they were produced in the later years of manufacture by Colt. No one knows how many were made that way by the Custom Shop for general sale, but they exist. There have been talk/ discussions on the topic here in the past. There was at least one in the last month or so on one of the auction sites for sale that sold for a fairly high price.

Troopers Mark III's and Mark V were cataloged in E-nickel as I recall without checking carefully in catalogs.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks for the info...

I use my 8" ss Anaconda for hunting and am looking for a 6" King Cobra to complement it.

Now I have a e-nick Trooper and will try to match it up with maybe a e-nick Python and Diamondback to finish the "shooter collection".

These 5 guns together would be a fun (and handsome) group to hang around with! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Lee

1 - 16 of 16 Posts