Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my new, DS-II today (Ser. #09XXSV) and I notice a couple of things I would like to change.

If anyone has any information on the following, please advise.

1. Replacement grips for the rubber issued grips?

2. Leaf spring replacement to lighten the double action pull?

3. Cross Draw Holster information?

I find that the trigger as supplied has very sharp edges that don't allow a comfortable trigger pull in double action.

4. Has anyone rounded the edges of the DS-II trigger to smooth out the pull?

I also was lead to believe that the DS-II was rated for +P ammo. The instruction book says that +P ammo will accelerate wear.

5. Is this gun +P rated or not?

I see some replacement grips are for "D" Frame Detective Specials.

6. What frame size is the DS-II?

Thanks in advance - J.Solo

[This message has been edited by J.Solo (edited 03-01-2004).]

[This message has been edited by J.Solo (edited 03-01-2004).]

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
1)I'm not sure, but I think the later (short) D-frame stocks still fit the DSII.
2)The improve action has coil springs and not the old leaf spring.
3)No help, but try contacting hoster makers.
4)The triggers are investment castings so rounding and polishing will work.
5)+P ammo accellerates wear in any .38sp revolver. It does handle it, just warning of extensive usage of it (something every manufactor should do).
6)The improved action D-frame was renamed the SF (Small Frame).

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Majic:
My DS-II has the leaf spring not a coil spring.
The gun is marked DS-II on the Box and on the barrel.
Any ideas?
Thanks - J.Solo

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
If it is a leaf spring action then there is no aftermarket light spring replacement. Polishing and spring adjustment lightens the trigger pull, but it is a delicate operation as the older action depends on the one spring for everything. Timing is crucial in the operation of a Colt. One of the reasons you don't see many qualified Colt gunsmiths. They just don't take to just dropping in parts. A lot of handfitting is usually required.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had a later version i.e. Magnum Carry. I had Jim Stroh of Alpha Precision widen the trigger and polish the sharp edges off.

The gun was tuned by a gunsmith in Florida (I forget his name) that used to work for Cylinder & Slide and he reduced the double action to 9.5 pounds and it worked ok. This was done by modifying the stock spring with a bend in it along with polishing the internals. I later bought some additional springs from Brownell's and played with reducing the spring tension further but around 8.5 pounds double action misfires started occuring. I vaguely remember when the DS first came out Colt had a version I think for women with a lower tension mainspring (I seemed to remember when the SF first came out Shooting Times tested one with about 8.25 pound double action pull - it could have been a ringer for the magazine, though). Perhaps you could locate one of these.

As to grips I ordered a pair of wood grips from Hogue. There was an article in Handguns as I recall showing a pair on the Magnum Carry. The grips did not fit right off as they bound behind the trigger guard. I sent them back to Hogue to be modified and they then fit.
Herrett's Stocks (www.herrettsstocks.com) and Badger make grips and perhaps Eagle, also.

[This message has been edited by tomthel (edited 03-05-2004).]

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,889 Posts
In order:
1. The DS-II is ALMOST exactly like the Colt "D" frames like the Detective Special.
BUT.... because of the differences in frame polishing and actual frame dimensions, grips MAY need to be hand fitted.

On my early Colt SF-VI version the back strap was different enough that non-factory open-back grips didn't match the frame.

2. There are no lighter weight "Vee" springs available for the small frame Colt's.
The spring and action can be tuned, but this is a gunsmith ONLY job.
Usually, simple dry firing and shooting will give a smoother, and thus lighter "feel".
The danger is, go too light on the action job, and you have an unreliable gun.

3. Cross draw holsters are hard to find these days, but many makers do offer them.
I'd suggest either getting online and checking the major makers, or go down to your local gun shop and ask to see their catalogs or wholesalers catalog holster sections.

The last time I looked, Bianchi offered their cross draw Model 111 "Cyclone" for the Colt small frame revolvers.
Cross draw holsters are available, you'll just have to shop around and ask.

4. The DS-II trigger and other exposed sharp edges can be given a rounded "carry bevel" job.
Again, because of the need to disassemble the gun, this is a gunsmith job only.

The Colt "SF" frame guns like the DS-II are much easier to disassemble than the older small frame "D" guns, but I'd recommend leaving that up to a good pistolsmith.

5. The DS-II IS +P rated.
The BUT qualifier is to make sure you understand that shooting large quantities of +P ammo will cause accelerated wear.

Your DS-II should be able to handle several thousand rounds of +P without any problem.

TO make it last indefinitely, I recommend practice and plinking with standard .38 Special ammo, and reserve the +P for actual carry.

6. The frame is the "SF" (Small Frame). Guns in this series were the:
SF-VI (Small Frame-Six Shot.
DS-II (Detective Special Two)
Magnum Carry.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Boy ........... That's a ;lot of information guys.

Thanks for all the responses. I drove to and from work today dry fireing in double and single action all the way with snap caps (35 Minutes each way). It does feel a little better. I think that rounding the sharp edges of the trigger will help the gun feel smoother even though not lighter in double action.

I'll look into the possibility of a lighter spring from the Women's model. I don't know if COLT would send me one. Most likely not. But I will keep my eye open and ask for one on the NET on different Gun Forums and at Gun Shows.

Thanks again for all the great information. Keep it coming if you guys think of anything else.

J.Solo

1 - 8 of 8 Posts