Colt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought that Diamondback and pick it up in eight days. The seller took the grips off the 33 year old gun to check the serial number then noticed the grips wobbled when he put them back on. I took them off and showed him how this little nylon washer/disc plug with center hole that goes in the grips anchor pin hole was missing. The other one was intact. He called and said he couldn't find it anywhere. I think I can make a replacement part in a matter of minutes in my garage. Or epoxy the hole and drill a new hole in the middle where the pin goes. You think these remedies make sense. I'm going by memory of what I saw on Saturday looking breifly at the problem.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I picked up a trashed pair of stock for parts and took the bushing out and glued it into my good set. If you have a lathe I'm sure you could make some. They are nothing more than a extra thick washer.

You may also notice that Dback stocks completely enclose the grip frame and unless the tolerances are close to perfect they will be loose. No matter how hard you tighten the screw.

·
Registered
640 Posts
My stocks are simply 2 halves and the screw....no washer/bushing involved. I bought mine brand new in late 1977, so there's nothing missing that I know of, and my stocks have always been a good and snug fit, albeit, the wood halves are not very well matched grain-wise.
My father in law's Diamondback, also a 1977 model (bought used), had loose fitting stocks (no washer/bushing), so the selling gunshop sent the revolver to a local gunsmith, and they epoxy bedded the stocks.
Maybe Colt added something to the grip set prior to 1977, or perhaps later on?

FWIW: if You're going to shoot Your Diamondback, it's usually a good idea to buy a pair of Pachmayr or Hogue rubber grips for that purpose. (just my .02) :cool:
Here's a pair going very reasonably:
Colt D Frame Pachmayr Grips : Pistol Grips at GunBroker.com
And another (gripper style):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Colt-D-fram...110?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27c68af186

·
Registered
8,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My stocks are simply 2 halves and the screw....no washer/bushing involved. I bought mine brand new in late 1977, so there's nothing missing that I know of, and my stocks have always been a good and snug fit, albeit, the wood halves are not very well matched grain-wise.
My father in law's Diamondback, also a 1977 model (bought used), had loose fitting stocks (no washer/bushing), so the selling gunshop sent the revolver to a local gunsmith, and they epoxy bedded the stocks.
Maybe Colt added something to the grip set prior to 1977, or perhaps later on?

FWIW: if You're going to shoot Your Diamondback, it's usually a good idea to buy a pair of Pachmayr or Hogue rubber grips for that purpose. (just my .02) :cool:
Here's a pair going very reasonably:
Colt D Frame Pachmayr Grips : Pistol Grips at GunBroker.com
And another (gripper style):
Colt D frame Detective Special Diamondback rubber Pachmayr presentation grips | eBay
Thanks for the links. I actually like the standard Pachs. but not the Grippers. My grips are Target style, which I forgot to mention.

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
My '78 has stocks that are a little loosey goosey too and they do have the inserts. They are going to Hugh due to some finish issues so I'm having him adjust whatever needs adjusting to snug em up while they're there. Dfariswheel has a post about the epoxy method which some folks have used with success but heck, mine are making the trip to the Master Stock Magician anyways :)

·
Registered
478 Posts
Yes, but in my mind there wasn't another lower hole below the one with the spacer. But I was probably just fixated on that disc missing.
Hi Matt,

I just opened up the target stocks from my daughter's '71 Diamondback. The lower hole is on these stocks as well. BTW, I didn't like the stocks that came with the gun much - they didn't fit well and were a bit loosy-goosy. By all means find a solution for the washer, but then go ahead and get some replacement stocks. I went with Badgers (Custom Wood Pistol Grips & Handgun Grips, including Smith & Wesson, Colt and Ruger Pistol Grips from Badger Custom Grips) sized for my daughter's smaller hands, and can't say enough good things about the quality of his work.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Wyatt,I will have to check my inventory but I think that I have a set of goodyears that are the non gripper type.If I find them I'll let you know and if you will pay the shipping you can have them.D*

·
Registered
8,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wyatt,I will have to check my inventory but I think that I have a set of goodyears that are the non gripper type.If I find them I'll let you know and if you will pay the shipping you can have them.D*
Thanks, Darryl. I really appreciate that. I put Pchs on my S&W Model 25 and was really surprised that I like them. And I've always thought they looked good on blued Pythons and Diamondbacks. Especially the 6" .22 Diamndbacks for some reason.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts