Colt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased another Python a few months ago and have only fired a few rounds out of it, without any issues. However, twice now it has gotten out of time or had some kind of problem with the action while operating the hammer/trigger at home. What will happen is I will cock the hammer and pull the trigger but instead of the hammer falling, it will go to half cock and then the remaining spring pressure will push forward on the trigger, releasing the hammer at the same time. I hope I am explaining this correctly. I have other colts and revolvers... I've never seen a pistol do this before. I am hesitant to take the cover off myself, as this is a pretty valuable pistol. Do you guys have a recommendation for a gunsmith?

Thanks

·
Registered
52 Posts
Without seeing the gun here is what I believe is wrong. The SA trigger pull might be to light, and at any rate the hammer strut is to long. You can test this by cocking the gun SA then by moving the trigger to the rear while controlling the hammer and trigger until the hammer is released, freeze the trigger and ease the hammer forward and it should not hit the trigger.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
16,428 Posts
I purchased another Python a few months ago and have only fired a few rounds out of it, without any issues. However, twice now it has gotten out of time or had some kind of problem with the action while operating the hammer/trigger at home. What will happen is I will cock the hammer and pull the trigger but instead of the hammer falling, it will go to half cock and then the remaining spring pressure will push forward on the trigger, releasing the hammer at the same time. I hope I am explaining this correctly. I have other colts and revolvers... I've never seen a pistol do this before. I am hesitant to take the cover off myself, as this is a pretty valuable pistol. Do you guys have a recommendation for a gunsmith?

Thanks
In case you don't know of him, Frank Glenn is one of the few true Colt revolver experts still working.
I have no idea of a qualified Colt expert that I could recommend in California, but Mr. Glenn is one that can repair your Python the right way.

·
Registered
52 Posts

Thanks
I should have given you my web site address.

www.glenncustom.com all info is correct at the moment.

Thanks,

Frank

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.