Colt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When I made this cartridge belt in 1985 I had a 31" waist but now it's 36". I was on the last hole so decided to make it longer. Just relocating the billet wouldn't do. I unstitched 2" of the lining on the tongue end and tapered the underside to match the tapering on the addition to avoid it being thicker where they connect. Once the tongue was relocated I then added five bullet loops stitched intentional crappy to match the old primitive loops. They cover up the original billet stitching holes.I wore this belt a lot because it's very comfortable and fits different holster well. I didn't care about making it look pretty. Just like something an old west saddler might do for a guy. Now it fits perfect again.

Before:

After:

·
Premium Member
3,925 Posts
Nice work, but what an unusual problem... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
push yourself away from the table , do not get seconds, drink plenty of water before meal .
PS do you do the same with your pants :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

PSS just kidding , nice work looks good , im guilty of stretching out and shrinking LOL :bang_wall:

·
Premium Member
3,925 Posts
It seems that experiencing "personal growth" is not all it's cracked up to be.

Reactions: ei8ht

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Probably take an entire cow to get all my belts to right size so I could wearthem.:bang_wall:

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
I suspect that few Colt collectors have made and tooled their own holsters and gunbelts. Perhaps you, like myself, bought our leather carving tools and other equipment from Tandy in the 1950's-60's. Accordingly, you will always have a level of understanding of the antique holsters and gunbelts that is above that of other collectors. Learning a new skill is always a good thing.

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
Nice job Wyatt, it was black, did you strip it , to end up with brown ?

Craig

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
I suspect that few Colt collectors have made and tooled their own holsters and gunbelts. Perhaps you, like myself, bought our leather carving tools and other equipment from Tandy in the 1950's-60's. Accordingly, you will always have a level of understanding of the antique holsters and gunbelts that is above that of other collectors. Learning a new skill is always a good thing.
I still have my Tandy tools I bought back in the 60's. I still use them to make knife sheaths for knives i buy. I have a money belt that is 5 inches to big for me that I will cut down to my size this winter. Should be an easy fix.

·
Registered
8,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I still have my Tandy tools I bought back in the 60's. I still use them to make knife sheaths for knives i buy. I have a money belt that is 5 inches to big for me that I will cut down to my size this winter. Should be an easy fix.
I still use the handful of tools my dad gave around 1972, tools others gave me they found at garage sales, and tons of tools and material I found at the flea market over the years. I was recently given a box full of rolls of 1960s thread still in packages along with more tools but homemade ones (top picture). Besides holsters I'm also the family cobbler fixing my wife's and daughter's shoes many times. I only use about 25% of the tools seen here behind my cat. My primary tools are in that blue & grey box on the shelf that's portable since I usually work in the patio or in the house.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Nice work WB and thanks for sharing. Love those work bench photos. Your cat has the same looks on its face that I get when I’m down to my last Coors...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Nice work. I’m lucky to be friends with a saddle maker (perk of living in Amarillo). It’s amazing what those guys can whip up

·
Registered
8,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Your moggie looks like mine Matt. Do you still have that awful dawg that hates Tranters?

View attachment 652243
We have a neighbor cat that looks just like yours. They all hang out in our yard because I feed the birds so it's like a buffet over here. They caught one an hour ago but it escaped. Here's our dog Cassius who's no longer with us. Don't know about Tranters but he liked these.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts