Colt Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
…reasonably sound in my thinking?

My local gun dealer got one of the first new Winchester ‘73’s in. I handled it and was duly impressed with the slick action, faultless fit and beautiful finish. I was somewhat caught off-guard by where it was made but then co-incidentally read an article in the latest “American Rifleman” a day later featuring the very same rifle.

Quoting AR; “1873’s bearing the Winchester name are manufactured under license from Olin by FN/Browning in Japan by Miroku Corp., a firearms manufacturer in Kochi Prefecture, Japan.” It really wasn’t that so much which gave me hesitation since the arm was so flawlessly build, it was the caliber - .357/.38 Special that gave me pause. Such a 'modern day' caliber in a classic old west-type rifle! If it were a 44-40, for instance; different scenario!

It sold the next day eradicating any second thoughts I may have had. So did I enter my name in the drawing for idiot of the month?

·
Premium Member
1,560 Posts
I haven't looked at the new `73's but their other guns are so good, I'd strongly consider one. Uberti's are similar in cost so it's not like there's a $500 option. Like you though, I just don't care for one in .357Mag. I'll hold out for a .38 or .44WCF.

Can you confirm that they have a traditional half cock action and no tang safety?

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
41 Rem. Mag would be good otherwise a 44-40 would suit me just fine. I would put the Miroku a little above Uberti in the quality area. The Miroku's I own are as good as the American Winchesters and some better than their late offerings.

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
I have the Winchester 1892 Limited Series w/24" octagonal barrel in .38-40 by Miroku to compliment my Colt SAA .38-40 and am very impressed with the fit and finish of the rifle. Mine rolled off the assembly line in 2009 and was NIB when I purchased it last April. I have to give credit to the Miroku folks for putting out a quality product.

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have the Winchester 1892 Limited Series w/24" octagonal barrel in .38-40 by Miroku to compliment my Colt SAA .38-40 and am very impressed with the fit and finish of the rifle. Mine rolled off the assembly line in 2009 and was NIB when I purchased it last April. I have to give credit to the Miroku folks for putting out a quality product.
That's terrific to hear - thank you!

·
Registered
183 Posts
I took the dive earlier this year and took delivery in June. I am very happy with the quality and action - everything the reviews I read touted - and glad I made the purchase. I plan on using it in the precision rifle (revolver caliber) event in the local Cowboy Shooting events next year. It will be a nice platform for the larger calibers when available.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
16,463 Posts
I haven't looked at the new `73's but their other guns are so good, I'd strongly consider one. Uberti's are similar in cost so it's not like there's a $500 option. Like you though, I just don't care for one in .357Mag. I'll hold out for a .38 or .44WCF.

Can you confirm that they have a traditional half cock action and no tang safety?
This month's American Rifleman magazine has a nice write up on the new Winchester.
They made a point of mentioning that it has no safety other than the same lever activated trigger block that the original 1873 had.

It does have some sort of spring loaded firing pin system but I haven't seen any details yet on just what it is.

·
Premium Member
1,560 Posts
I want a standard Cimarron 1873 Saddle ring carbine in .44 Special. Retail for this Winchester marked gun appears less than a Cimarron. If only they came out in .44 special...
Thanks for saying what I was thinking! Can't decide if I want another 1873 or an 1866 for my .44Spl. Probably should go ahead and snag one before they stop making them. If they haven't already!

This month's American Rifleman magazine has a nice write up on the new Winchester.
They made a point of mentioning that it has no safety other than the same lever activated trigger block that the original 1873 had.

It does have some sort of spring loaded firing pin system but I haven't seen any details yet on just what it is.
It's probably here somewhere, I should go find it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Well somebody needs to say it. Why can't we make our Winchesters right here in the U.S.A. I don't give a hoot what caliber. It's a damn shame the most recognizable American rifle is made in Japan. Quality is good...global economy...blahh. How bout our own people in our own factories start cranking em out in our own country with our own steel..... I think its sad. Is it just me?

·
Premium Member
6,580 Posts
I believe they made the right move with the chambering as it appears that about 75% of cowboy action shooting is now with 38 special and they will probably be the biggest market. I too sure wish Winchester, 1873 and USA could be stamp on the same barrel but it is what it is.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.