Colt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I realized today I have some ammo for my 3" (3 line barrel address) .41, made in early 1903. It completely slipped my mind. Twenty two rounds of Western .41 Long Colt. Everything is fine with this gun except when I test dry fired it single action, the hammer falls half way and catches. Then I re-cock and lower the hammer. But when I fire SA by applying pressure LOWER on the trigger, it works fine. Just not 1/4" higher on the trigger. DA is fine. It feels excellent in the hand and perfect in 1903 for the same purposes anyone would carry a Detective Special today but bigger bore. It looks like it was "steel wooled" at some point but not buffed. I think it's beautiful.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I see that Cimarron catalogs (CA3054) their version of the Lightning in .41 Colt as well as in .38 Special. I have not been able to get my hands on one, but looking at what reviews and videos that are out there, it is a three click action with a frame mounted firing pin. I like the looks of it, but wish it was a bit more traditional.

light-3-38sp-smgrpfullimage_2.jpg

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have the cimarron. It’s a little jewel and shoots well to boot. I haven’t seen any for awhile and just wonder if they haven’t been dropped from their website. Can’t imagine they were big sellers.......

·
Registered
240 Posts
The "3 clicks" are kind of driving me up the wall. Very creative system, but I like the 4 clicks best. Unfortunately they're getting harder to find. I had to hit 4 stores, including some of the larger chain stores, to find just one. BTW, the photo you included is a "4 click". The trigger set well to the rear is a dead give away as the "3 clicks" sits much farther forward.

·
Registered
98 Posts
The "3 clicks" are kind of driving me up the wall. Very creative system, but I like the 4 clicks best. Unfortunately they're getting harder to find. I had to hit 4 stores, including some of the larger chain stores, to find just one. BTW, the photo you included is a "4 click". The trigger set well to the rear is a dead give away as the "3 clicks" sits much farther forward.
May be I don't understand what you mean with 3 or 4 clicks ? DA vs SA ? are you comparing the sound of a new army 1892 with a model 1889 ?

OK I got it; You were talking about replicas...

·
Registered
8,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a very similar 3 inch 41. It is a transitional with 1889 cylinder in 1892 frame.

View attachment 661823 View attachment 661825
It's amazing the American made hardware you seem to find so easily at guns shows down there. And this is just another example. But according to the movies, "Ned Kelly" and his band seemed to acquire Colt and Remington pistols easy enough. The Heath Ledger one especially. I loved the stag grips on my .41 but sold them and left the gun original. The grips were on the gun for 116 years and it deserved to stay that way.

·
Premium Member
929 Posts
I've got one of those as well. It was a neglected thing, picked up for next to nothing. I was overly brave one morning and took it down to the smallest parts for a detailed cleaning. Putting it back together took three monkeys, some duct tape and a few shots (not of .41lc). That said, I triumphed and now it seems likely headed to put rounds downrange. Just a few. Maybe a letter is in order as well with the next batch.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I have two of those old tanker, great shooters, and they handel my uploaded .41 LC's better.
Here is one of them...I would like to find some ivory grips, but so far, no luck.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I really like that .41 as well. Can't decide whether the stag or the the hard rubber looks best on it, leaning towards the hard rubber. Nice revolver.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts