Colt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received my Three Colt letters today that i sent off March 31st and a few interesting surprises.The first Colt officers Model shipped to the City of Bridgeport Police Dept... not sure why the police Dept needed a officers model with heavy barrel adjustable rear and target front site? Second letter Official Police with Special 3/12 trigger pull and 1/8 front site it also has a badge # on the butt. Third letter is for another Official Police which is in 98% cond and its pretty interesting that it was shipped during the war to Draper Corporation, Defense Sy Corp Washington DC (Anyone have any information on defense SY Corp ) Thanks for looking and would appreciate any input.

Marko

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,290 Posts
On the Bridgeport PD gun, all the bigger cites had pistol teams back in the day......they have been a good source of old K22s and .22 OMs for me over the years.....would not be surprised if the salesmen threw a few into the deals where they sold them 500 OPs or PPs.On the howitzer contractor, defense contractors were about the only non military organizations authorized to get handguns when the War Department oversaw the output of Colt and all the others.....the 75mm guns where long gone by the time I joined but most Army and Marine posts still have them for salutes, etc......nothing like that big 75mm black powder blank going off, hearing the bugler, and watching Old Glory run up that flagpole.....damn.

·
Registered
12,294 Posts
Not Defense Systems Corporation, but Defense Supplies Corporation was in charge of obtaining revolvers and ammunition for police agencies during WWII. Most were for security at defense or critical material plants.

A friend that retired from Goodyear in Houston said there were still four or five S&W M&P revolvers there that had been issued during WWII for security guards but never used.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Found a John Jovino who was born about 1878 in Italy that in 1911 is listed in the New York New York City directory as owning a Police Supply Company, he is listed in the 1920 Federal census as living in Brooklyn as owns a Police Supply Company. In the 1940 census his is still in New York & listed as a firearms dealer.

Here is a Wikipedia link about the store;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Jovino_Gun_Shop

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the information... i am very familiar with Jovino's Gun shop i grew up across the river in Jersey and have been in the shop a few times ,still there after all these years.

Found a John Jovino who was born about 1878 in Italy that in 1911 is listed in the New York New York City directory as owning a Police Supply Company, he is listed in the 1920 Federal census as living in Brooklyn as owns a Police Supply Company. In the 1940 census his is still in New York & listed as a firearms dealer.

Here is a Wikipedia link about the store;
John Jovino Gun Shop - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.