Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I saw it myself on TV. We know TV doesn't lie. Especially shows on the Biography and History Channels.
Did you know that the Python was actually introduced in 1931? On Mobsters on the Biography channel, they show "Joe the Boss" Giuseppi Masseria being shot and killed in a restaurant on Coney Island by Lucky Luciano, Bugsy Siegal, and Albert Anastasia. They showed a close up of the guys shooting hands and one of them is definitely firing a 4" bbl. Python. You can't miss it. This was April 15, 1931.
Luciano betrayed his boss Masseria. He plotted the hit with Salvatore Maranzano, a rival Castellammarese mafia boss.
And wouldn't you know it, 4 months later in Sept. 1931, Marazano himself was stabbed and shot in his offices and they used a Python!

Hmmmm. Seems to me I've seen the hit men use a Python in a lot of those episodes.
I had no idea the Python was introduced that long ago.
You live and learn, I guess :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Malysh, I note a tone of sarcasm in your post which is to me unfounded. I have learned through watching Westerns that a lot of what is normally accepted as correct is, in fact, not true. For instance, Wyatt Earp carried a 12-ich barrelled pistol, Buscadero rigs were around long before their accepted date of introduction, the US Cavalry carried 1892 Winchesters and the venerable Colt SAA was chambered for many more than six shots without a reload. So much so that when I require some historical information, rather than look through my library, I now reach for my video and dvd collection for a true version of the Old West. Long live the movies! :D

Rio

·
Registered
785 Posts
I'll bet you didn't know that U.S. Army cavalry troopers were carrying Colt SAA revolvers before the Civil War! I wouldn't have known that except for watching "Santa Fe Trail" with Errol Flynn, Olivia Haviland, and Raymond Massey, among others. :D :D :D

·
Registered
36 Posts
That's nothing. You should play Call of Duty: Black Ops.
They had M16s around the Bay of Pigs, and Glocks and Steyr AUGs in 1968.
I saw one video game that had Union and Confederate soldiers using 1894 Winchesters.
Turns out, the 94 came out in 64.
Thank God we have Hollyweird to straighten us out.

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
I saw it myself on TV. We know TV doesn't lie. Especially shows on the Biography and History Channels.
Did you know that the Python was actually introduced in 1931? On Mobsters on the Biography channel, they show "Joe the Boss" Giuseppi Masseria being shot and killed in a restaurant on Coney Island by Lucky Luciano, Bugsy Siegal, and Albert Anastasia. They showed a close up of the guys shooting hands and one of them is definitely firing a 4" bbl. Python. You can't miss it. This was April 15, 1931.
Luciano betrayed his boss Masseria. He plotted the hit with Salvatore Maranzano, a rival Castellammarese mafia boss.
And wouldn't you know it, 4 months later in Sept. 1931, Marazano himself was stabbed and shot in his offices and they used a Python!

Hmmmm. Seems to me I've seen the hit men use a Python in a lot of those episodes.
I had no idea the Python was introduced that long ago.
You live and learn, I guess :rolleyes:
that was Colt's test market.:cool:

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
I learned something about the Remington 870 pump shotgun also watching TV. I always thought that if I had a shotgun shell in the chamber that it was ready to shoot. But I learned that you must ALWAYS pump your shotgun before EVERY shot even if there is a shell in the chamber.

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
It's incredible what one can learn on TV. LOL!

Actually years ago I was surprised to learn that the .357 magnum was developed so early on, in the mid-30's. If memory serves I believe it was first introduced as a commercial round to the public in 1934 or 1935.

Still, a Python in 1931? Was this a comedy you were watching- ha! :cool:

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I learned something about the Remington 870 pump shotgun also watching TV. I always thought that if I had a shotgun shell in the chamber that it was ready to shoot. But I learned that you must ALWAYS pump your shotgun before EVERY shot even if there is a shell in the chamber.
This is true, and now this technique has been modified to include the verbal command "Let's DO this!"

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Boy you all are a sarcastic bunch this morning.Why can't you just accept the fact that you don't know what you think you know./ :) D*

·
Premium Member
4,604 Posts
Isn't it always fun to get the "real" truth about our guns?

How about that famous "Outlaw Jose Wales" movie poster that showed Jose (Clint Eastwood) standing there with his two Colt's Dragoons (or maybe it was Walker's), but there he was, with the brass in the air after firing a few rounds. I thought wow, an auto Dragoon, how neat.

Funny stuff those movies. All that history and not a lick of truth anywhere. Funny though, and very entertaining to say the least.

Bud

·
Registered
521 Posts
Also did you know that when you pull a Glock out of it's holster it automaticaly cocks and sounds just like the SAA cocking. Amazing.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
It would sure be fun to get to supply ( and to be the one who gets to determine ) the Sound Effects for a Movie.

Someone briefly, lightly scratches their Head a moment, one could use the sounds of a large Cross Cut Hand Saw on dry, White Oak...or of breaking, crisp Celery, aligned f course, with the movement of their fingers while scratching.

Someone fires a 12 Gauge Shotgun, one could use the sound of wet flatulence.

On and on...wow, would that ever be a hoot! Lol...

I wonder why no one has ever made a Movie, who's sound effects - all through - are intentionally absurd?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts