Colt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was attempting to take a decent picture of these two .45's but still haven't been able to get it right. Nickel is tough. My favorite combination of grips, finish, and undefinable character is nickel and yellowed old sambar stag. I like stag better than ivory. Looking at these pictures made me think of the two guys here who's shootin' irons I admire most, Swamprat and rhmc24. While they have a lot of pearl or ivory, their tastes just knock me out with the flambyant old west (or southwest) flavor of their guns. I think these two guns here are explanation enough to them.

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
Those look great Wyatt - I to am hooked on Stag!! Good stag grips ain't cheap either!

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
Great Stags! I'm not big on stags but one of my favorite family guns is in stag. It belonged to my cousin back about 1940 when I was 16. A real rough gun even then, he probably bought it for $5, a WWI survivor. A rancher, one of his hands went on National Guard camp and brought back a nail keg of loose .45ACP, about 4 gallons. We shot up a storm. Cousin 12 years older than me passed and about 2000 I bought the gun from his estate for $150 and dolled it up a bit. Traded for a nice pair of stags as you see it now.

I only have one other with stags, a S&W Triple Lock with blank stags, white with no bark. I'll have to take a shot of it and post it.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I was never one who looked to buy SAA, but I do like stag. My first and favorite carry piece has a set of old stag stocks on it. But, looking at those SA with stag stocks has put a notion in my mind. "I need one" . Thanks for sharing guys, God bless your day. Peace.

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
This is my other stag, a S&W Triple Lock. It was refinished as a shooter by someone who knew what he was doing. Lines sharp, lettering not dished, etc. & perfect bore. It came with a pair of wild target grips I didn't like. I couldn't find pearls & decided on these blank stags, almost barkless. I like it better with the stags, they fit good like S&W magna grips. Pearls look nice but never make a good shooter's handful. I actually like the kind of subdued milk white of these.

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
Here's a few of mine - No SAA ------------YET

Reactions: rhmc24

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I traded a pair of $50 Ruger 1950's stags to a Ruger collector for these very thin and colorful Colt stags. This 2nd gen. 44-40 has a very wide grip in profile, but these fit good.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Stags

Since the subject is stag grips I thought I would show off some of mine. I know the guns aren't Colt but the Kimber is my daily carry and the 19 was purchased as a project engraving gun. The three sets are in my safe waiting for the right gun to go on all 3 are for 1911 size and format, middle set is mastodon ivory.
IMG_0982.jpg IMG_1073.jpg IMG_1075.jpg IMG_1109.jpg

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
This is my other stag, a S&W Triple Lock. It was refinished as a shooter by someone who knew what he was doing. Lines sharp, lettering not dished, etc. & perfect bore. It came with a pair of wild target grips I didn't like. I couldn't find pearls & decided on these blank stags, almost barkless. I like it better with the stags, they fit good like S&W magna grips. Pearls look nice but never make a good shooter's handful. I actually like the kind of subdued milk white of these.

It would be even more "subdued" if I owned it!!! Hahaha!! MAN, I would eat dirt for that Triple Lock, you lucky dog!!

Reactions: rhmc24
1 - 12 of 12 Posts