Colt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my first AR - a new CR6920. A newbie. The only AR I've shot before was my brother-in-laws at an indoor range with a red dot on it and was amazed on the accuracy and consistency. I live in AZ, like to shoot outdoors a lot and have shot a lot of other rifles and pistols with iron sights so think I'll primarily shoot iron but would like to occasionally shoot with an optic at closer distance. I really don't want to have to remove the optic to flip up my rear sight. It's pretty dang confusing trying to find the best way to have an optic mounted that is above the iron sights. I see some people mount iron sights at 45 degrees but I prefer not to. Seems like to get what I want the optic would be really high, maybe uncomfortably high? Maybe I could mount the optic at 45 degrees? I'd appreciate any advice y'all might have.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! Seems like the best place to learn about the Colt AR. Buying one is like buying a Harley. You just bought a platform you like and then you personalize it.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
There are companies like Magpul and others that make 45 degree offset sights. Or another option, provided the upper is a railed flattop, is to buy 45 degree offset mounts to install your current iron sights on. You would tilt your rifle ( top axis ) 45 degrees to the left to fire with the iron sights and never have to remove the optic. I have them on my rifle ( I trick I learned from a couple of SF operators in Afganistan ). It takes some practice but it works very well. Especially if your optic gets damaged in combat.

·
Premium Member
3,718 Posts
Hello and welcome to the Colt Forum from West Virginia. Glad you have joined us all here. Colt makes a great AR-15. You will love it I'm sure.

·
Premium Member
1,105 Posts
I shoot my red dot all the time with the sights up and "in the way". Mine are set up as direct co-witness (meaning the red dot and the iron sight alignment are all in the same position). It's just a matter of learning to ignore the sights and utilize the red dot, with both eyes open helps as well.

Now what may provide more of what you're looking for is the lower 1/3 co-witness mounts, where the red dot is slightly above the iron sight alignment. This definitely helps some people separate their vision with the red dot and then when they want to use the iron sights, say when your dot may go out, you just "scrunch down" some on the cheek weld and use the iron sights like normal. Hope that makes sense?

What red/green dot optic are you using? With that, I may be able to guide towards some mounts that would help you out. Larue and Scalarworks make some of the best for this purpose, priced accordingly as well.

·
Registered
129 Posts
What you are looking for is a co-witnessed red dot. It is mounted in such a way that allows you to achieve a normal iron sight picture while looking through the red dot. There are generally two ways this is set up, basically either with the iron sights more or less in the center of the optic, or mounting the red dot higher so that the irons are in the lower 1/3 of the lens. Either way it is very easy to adapt to using either the dot or the irons and with a little practice, the irons become basically invisible in the sight.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If I understand correctly, the front sight is integral with the gas block, so I don't want to change that. I thought that if you set up the optic to co-witness with the front sight, the optic would be in the way of the rear sight? Sounds like you are saying you can look through the rear iron sight, through the optic and be able to view the front sight too? If not, then sounds like you can get a mount that raises the optic enough to be able to have the stock sights in place and still lift up a bit to see through the optic. That sounds ideal to me. I have not picked an optic yet. Still debating if I want to spend around $200 or $450. I'm not going with the sub $100 optic.... again.

·
Premium Member
1,105 Posts
If I understand correctly, the front sight is integral with the gas block, so I don't want to change that. I thought that if you set up the optic to co-witness with the front sight, the optic would be in the way of the rear sight? Sounds like you are saying you can look through the rear iron sight, through the optic and be able to view the front sight too? If not, then sounds like you can get a mount that raises the optic enough to be able to have the stock sights in place and still lift up a bit to see through the optic. That sounds ideal to me. I have not picked an optic yet. Still debating if I want to spend around $200 or $450. I'm not going with the sub $100 optic.... again.
Yes - everything you said is correct and an option. I prefer the direct cowitness, so everything lines up the same - quick verification that everything (red dot) has held its zero, if I were to remove it for a reason. It's also a quick way to dial it in when new. If your irons are already dialed in, you get an iron sight picture and have someone else adjust the red dot until they all line up. Works great.

If you go with the 1/3 cowitness as you seem to want, you just zero each independently. No biggie at all. This option from Larue, in red or green dot, is a superb combination, gets you a top end optic, bullet proof top of the pile mount and is still under 500 clams.

I believe you can also get an Eotech that mounts directly on the rail (no extra mount needed) for right around there as well. It'll cowitness though. I'm gravitating towards green myself, although I've used the red options for 20+ years and found no fault.

One thing I will suggest - do not skimp - Aimpoint, Eotech or Trijicon is all that I will use. They are the only ones proven to take abuse, hold zero and continue to perform. Between those three, the options are still staggering.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts

Here's my setup on my SP6920 (Sporter M4 Carbine) upper half an Aimpoint red dot with LaRue Tactical quick disconnect lever mount and a red dot magnifier behind it that pivot to the side when not needed also could be quick disconnected with the LaRue Tactical lever mount.

My mounts are lower 1/3 co-witness because that's my personal preference, because if I shoot at weird angles or even sideways and cannot have a perfect cheekweld having my cheek slightly higher on the buttstock works for me.

I rarely use my magnifier only about less than 10 percent of the time so mostly it's stored at my rifle bag or range bag, because it had quick detachable mount I could mount it in just a few seconds.

My main recommendation is to get a high quality with good repeatable mounting, quick detachable mount either you get a red dot or a LPVO (Low Power Variable Optic) scope.

The LaRue quick detachable mounts have good repeatability in mounting, if I could remember correctly they're about less than 1/8 of an inch at 100 yards.

Reactions: inspcalahan

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the input! It would have taken me forever to decide without this info. I definitely like the lower 1/3 co-witness set up. Looks like I'm going to have to spend more than half the price of the carbine to get the optics. When you think about the material and manufacture cost differences, something seems out of line there.... but what are you gonna do?!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks for all the input! It would have taken me forever to decide without this info. I definitely like the lower 1/3 co-witness set up. Looks like I'm going to have to spend more than half the price of the carbine to get the optics. When you think about the material and manufacture cost differences, something seems out of line there.... but what are you gonna do?!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Aimpoint PRO with the standard QRP quick disconnect mount will give you a set up that is in between absolute and lower 1/3. Beside being a top quality bullet proof red dot, that sight picture works perfect for me. Shooting with both eyes open which is how it is meant to be used will blur the front sight post out so you won't even notice it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts