1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Here's an example of why things bring the money they do. Granted the box is not dead mint but its better than most, whens the last time you seen one in any condtion,or even more importantly whens the next time you will see another one for sale. You may stumble upon one tomorrow, but you may never see another one in your life for sale. I made my mind up a long time ago when I see something like this, I am going to own it if I want it. I have let many treasures slip through my fingers through the years thinking there wil be another one down the road, only to come up empy handed. With 3-5-7's prices on the rise, a period correct box could easily add 200-300 to the value of the total package. But its not the value of this box,,, its the value of the opportunity to aquire this box. Whats that opportunity worth ? When will opportunity knock again ? I collect new in the box pre war Smith and Wesson N frames, I buy these guns when the opportunity looks my way. It doesn't look my way very much. The opportunity to buy these particular guns new in the box is far more rare than the guns themselves,, if that makes sense. People put way too little value in the opportunity to own certain hard to find items.

John Fugate

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
I wish I had seen it earlier, I would have paid more than 150.00 just to speculate on it. Super tough box to find, and a 4 inch box to boot. It went for a very reasonabe price for what it was. Not many out there left,,,

John

·
Registered
807 Posts
I think that I'd better look through my stash of boxes since I seem to remember purchasing at least two Colt 3-5-7 boxes in better condition than the one that just sold for $143.05? Based upon this, I think that I'll hold onto those for awhile.

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
I'll have to say that that price is in the ball park of others I've seen. If it was in pristine shape, it probably would have doubled that price. I was bidding on a very nice box for a 1908 Vest Pocket - I bailed at $135.00 and if I remember right it sold for around $325.00 - I know it was just over 3 and this was probably 2 yrs ago now.

·
Premium Member
3,214 Posts
Mine are in their original boxes, but I would have bought that! I thought it was a real nice box. I dont watch/follow 357 boxes, but I think that was a deal on the early type box.

·
Premium Member
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mine are in their original boxes, but I would have bought that! I thought it was a real nice box. I dont watch/follow 357 boxes, but I think that was a deal on the early type box.
Guess I passed on a rather good deal. I still don't know if I would have gone up to $150. But who knows how high the actual buyer would have bid...

·
Premium Member
9,517 Posts
The "357" is a fairly low production premium Colt. The box in question is of the finest style Colt ever used. Those boxes have no serial number, so one can always indulge the fantasy that the box is the original box for any gun. With all of that in mind, the box was probably a bit under-priced. The buyer can spruce this one up a bit and keep watching for a better one, IF one ever comes along. At that time, this one can be sold for an appreciated price. Boxes are appreciating faster than the guns, so now is the time to buy.

At a bit more than 409,000 made, the Model N was one of the highest production Colts, and many are available with original boxes, but it seems that Model N boxes often exceed $300 and nice ones get around $400. I think it is because there are many more guns to which owners want to add a box, so the competition is greater for a Model N box than for a "357" box, where there were only about 15,000 made. It is an interesting supply and demand dynamic.

·
Premium Member
3,214 Posts
Guess I passed on a rather good deal. I still don't know if I would have gone up to $150. But who knows how high the actual buyer would have bid...
Yeah it could have went for a bunch more... I actually have no idea what it is worth, I was just looking at the rarity/condition of it and I truely believe these will get the respect they deserve in the near future. With only a little over 15k total made and a small percentage in that style box, I wish I would have saw it. Of course I have a bad addiction of buying boxes I dont need LOL. All one would have to do is see my shelf to know that:eek:... I would like to stop, I just don't know how LOL!

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Boxes are becoming as collectible as guns. There are stictly box collectors who love boxes more than guns. I know people who letter boxes in the Smith and Wesson world, even with the gun absent. If the serial number is present on the box, they get a letter. This mostly happens with rare pre war boxes. But if you think about it, boxes are much rarer than the guns that came in them. How many pre war SAA's do you see on the market , how many in their original boxes ? How many pre war SAA boxes without guns do you see on the market ? The older the gun boxes, the less you see period of them. They just dont survive,, they get worn, broken or lost,, they just seem to disapear.

What can you say but,, Old Gun Boxes are just plain cool.

John

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I paid about $250 for a similar box, in a touch better shape for a 6" .357. That is the correct box (with different end label) for an early Python as well. So that style box would be very,very valuable to an early Python owner! Below is an $800 Ruger box! If with the "green" wreath it would have been $1500! I have sold some boxes for crazy money so I didn't mind paying for this one.

Ruger Tri-Color 001.jpg Ruger Tri-Color 003.jpg Ruger Tri-Color 017.jpg

·
Registered
4,774 Posts
The old leatherette box . I just got one that came with a 1955 Officer Model Match. Given the apparent price for these, I guess I only paid around $500 for the mint OMM .22.
It is amazing -the value of the old cardboard boxes. I imagine they are so much more rare than the guns because most just threw them out in the trash after they got the gun, or sometime shorthly therafter -Like when you geta new refrigerator,or toaster orTv or whatever -you typically just throw out the useless box (Actually I recycle all the paper and cardboard boxes ).

·
Registered
184 Posts
JudgeColt is right (again). That style box (hinged lid/green interior) was primarily for premium models in the years they were made. Unfortunately these set-up boxes were not durable in and out of safes (usually stacked), drawers, and closets with heavy guns inside. A pristine Colt from the period will usually survive much better than the original box. If you want one, you'll have to pay the bid bucks.

·
Registered
7,258 Posts
Even an early post war Detective Special box in v.g. good or better condition will go for over $100, usually in the $150 range from what I've observed. Theoretically, there should be more of them around than for an early Mod 3-5-7.
Any firearm original paper or cardboard items are rarer than the guns themselves, being made from very perishable materials.

I collect original AR-10 rifles and accessories. As rare as those rifles are, the original operator's manuals and promotional color brochures from ArmaLite, Interarmco, and A.I. (Artillerie Inrichtigen, the Dutch co. that mfg. the AR-10 for ArmaLite) are very rare.
I happen to have a pretty good collection of the paperwork, and two original rifles :cool:
It's no wonder I can't afford more Colts and S&Ws.

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
Even an early post war Detective Special box in v.g. good or better condition will go for over $100, usually in the $150 range from what I've observed. Theoretically, there should be more of them around than for an early Mod 3-5-7.
Any firearm original paper or cardboard items are rarer than the guns themselves, being made from very perishable materials.

I collect original AR-10 rifles and accessories. As rare as those rifles are, the original operator's manuals and promotional color brochures from ArmaLite, Interarmco, and A.I. (Artillerie Inrichtigen, the Dutch co. that mfg. the AR-10 for ArmaLite) are very rare.
I happen to have a pretty good collection of the paperwork, and two original rifles :cool:
It's no wonder I can't afford more Colts and S&Ws.
Everyone picks their poison Mike :) Me? I'm not a box guy. Now if I happened upon a Colt I wanted and the box was included in "my fair estimation" of value, all the better, but I'm not one to plop down 350-500 for cardboard. Thus I'm the consumate shooter/accumulator ;)

·
Registered
7,258 Posts
Everyone picks their poison Mike :) Me? I'm not a box guy. Now if I happened upon a Colt I wanted and the box was included in "my fair estimation" of value, all the better, but I'm not one to plop down 350-500 for cardboard. Thus I'm the consumate shooter/accumulator ;)
Well, I'm in the same boat. I have a few boxes, nothing too special. A box with the matching serial number to the gun is infinitely preferred. The only way I buy a box that isn't going to match one of my old snubbys is if it's a bargain and fairly close to mine in serial number. Better yet, a bargain priced box with no serial number on it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts