Colt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mom's dad had an old '50's Jeep pickup. The inside of it was about the size of two bags of rolled oats and a ham sandwich.
My dad and grandad were both pretty spare and I wasn't much at the age of nine, so we fit in there good enough to go up of an evening into the foothills of Ksanka Mountain to see if there was a deer to shoot at for meat.
I felt pretty special, being with men with guns and all, and was looking forward to finally getting a closer look at a deer's liver that was still in the deer. I'd seen other peoples gut piles and squished frogs and stuff but this was different, with no flies or worms yet, and I would get to see it knocked down and killed and dressed out, as a deer should be to fit in an oven.
So my grandad was saying to look wherever you don't think one of those bastards would most likely be because they blend into the woods and are cunning and resourceful and whatever and were generally really hard to spot when one jumped right smack dab out in front of the Jeep and stood in the road not fifty feet away. So grandad rolls to a stop and him and dad calmly get out for a shot. Grandad carried a '94 .32 Special with a long octagonal barrel and my dad had the same in a carbine with a standard barrel. When grandad got out he managed to clip me in the left eye with the steel butt and my dad nearly got me on the cheekbone with his rifle as there was a shortage of leverage room inside that Jeep, which was why I was brought along to keep them from banging each others butt stocks and messing up the finish.
I was happy to do my part, you know, taking a shot to the head for the good of grandma's larder, and was just trying to see over the dashboard as both guns went off simultaneously and the big ole doe hit the ground without a wiggle.
I piled out of the Jeep and went up for a look. The thing was completely dead as you could see at a glance, but with only one hole, just forward of the right shoulder. She had been quartered on and had been shot through the heart.
So grandad said, “Good thing it wasn't much farther away, truth be told, as I haven't had this old girl sighted in quite the way I like.”
My dad says, “Sighted in, hell, your shot clipped that piss fir half way up the ridge, above that brush pile.”
Well, the fight was on, right there.
“That damned carbine's only good for about eight feet what with the barrel shot out and all. I swear we can find where you keyholed the bank right over there. See that? Looks like a badger's been covering up poop.”
“No, no, no, no...that wooden-legged piece of well-casing you carry is too much gun for a man of years such as yourself. You were waving it around like you were trying to flag down the midday mail run. I'm tellin' you, you hit that piss fir up there, I saw it.”
Well, between the jawing and jabbing at each other they got her opened up and pulled all of her stuff out. Inside there was a lot of ruined necessaries and the off-side ribs were splayed out like where a bronc had gone through a pole fence. Seemed like a lot more damage than one 180 grain Silvertip would have been up to.
So they come to think that they had both hit that deer in the same spot at the same time with the same gun and the same bullet and so they shook hands, threw it in the back and headed for the barn.
Later that night my grandad says to me,”Next time when I stop quick you stick your head under the dash and you won't get no black eye.”
My dad said, ”Next time you grab his gun butt before he clubs you and we'll bag a deer and leave the piss firs alone.”

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
Great story and good to see you back and in great form !! I'm yearnin" to get back out to Montana for a hunt of some kind.

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Thank you.. Great story!

·
Registered
8,057 Posts
Denghis...What happened to the Black Eye? Did you use the Ham to cut down on the swelling ? ;)
I just love happy endings...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
214 Posts
This story was priceless!

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
Denghis, in that giant holy bible book called "Cartridges Of The World" Frank Barnes covers every cartridge on earth from the 221 Buttwhomper Hi-Speed to the 454 Fudpucker Ultra Mag, and the one, the ONLY cartridge that earns this statement from him "If ever there was a totally useless cartridge..." was the .32 Winchester. That's what I have! How can he say that about my 94 Winchester. But that deer your dad and granddad killed might argue with him on that since that's what they used after pistol whipping you first getting out of that jeep.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My dad bought his carbine not because it was a .32 caliber but because it cost eight bucks, used, at the gun store in the mid thirties, and that was exactly how much he had in his pocket. He bought grandad's long rifle at a pawn shop in 1946 for the grand total of twenty-two bucks. It was rough, and well-used. At the time .32 Specials were a dime a dozen, same as .30-30's, and shells were as easy to get as .30-30's, and he didn't care that the difference in firepower over a .30-30 was about the same as one cup size over a 34B.
My dad ended up giving the .32 cannon to his future father-in-law, who carried it exclusively for 25 years until his kids decided to upgrade him for Christmas. He hated the scoped Remington 700...but, that's another story.
You have a nice old rifle there. Just think of it as a .30-30 with a sock stuffed down the front of it's pants.

This is the rifle of which I speak. If you look closely you can see a nine-year-old's eyelash hair stuck in the crack in the buttstock.

Winchester 003.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
My dad bought his carbine not because it was a .32 caliber but because it cost eight bucks, used, at the gun store in the mid thirties, and that was exactly how much he had in his pocket. He bought grandad's long rifle at a pawn shop in 1946 for the grand total of twenty-two bucks. It was rough, and well-used. At the time .32 Specials were a dime a dozen, same as .30-30's, and shells were as easy to get as .30-30's, and he didn't care that the difference in firepower over a .30-30 was about the same as one cup size over a 34B.
My dad ended up giving the .32 cannon to his future father-in-law, who carried it exclusively for 25 years until his kids decided to upgrade him for Christmas. He hated the scoped Remington 700...but, that's another story.
You have a nice old rifle there. Just think of it as a .30-30 with a sock stuffed down the front of it's pants.

This is the rifle of which I speak. If you look closely you can see a nine-year-old's eyelash hair stuck in the crack in the buttstock.

View attachment 22971
I woudn't mind being traumatized as a kid by having my dad and grand dad use my head for a hockey puck if i ended with that gun eventually. I used to hit bars with a rolled up military sleeping bag down my pants. That's how I met my wife. If my old 1947ish .32 has illusions of grandeur, I think it's probably earned it after all these years.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I used to hit bars with a rolled up military sleeping bag down my pants. That's how I met my wife.
Wyatt, I am sure your wife became entranced with you because of your engaging manner, good looks, and manly disposition, even though some socially inadequate men sometimes find it necessary to lie, cheat, and steal their way into a relationship using underhanded methods not unlike the kind you mention.
What we don't realize is that we we're not fooling anyone, certainly not the objects of our desires on any given night, with the gross and far less than honest augmentation of our pro-creative credentials as given to us by He Who Hands Out Such Things.
Good women are much more intuitive, forgiving, and willing to stifle their dreams and settle for what's available than we men are aware of, or will admit.
I'm sure this has nothing to do with your particular situation, as the same is true for me, and every other guy I know.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts