Colt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This seems to be an honest CFSS and I was thinking about bidding. The trigger position seems a little odd but they seem to vary when looking at other SAAs. In 1902 Arizona was still a territory, Wyatt Earp was still alive, there was still open range in Wyoming, so while not my ideal pre-1900, it is close. Comments? Concerns?

·
Registered
18 Posts
This seems to be an honest CFSS and I was thinking about bidding. The trigger position seems a little odd but they seem to vary when looking at other SAAs. In 1902 Arizona was still a territory, Wyatt Earp was still alive, there was still open range in Wyoming, so while not my ideal pre-1900, it is close. Comments? Concerns?

While not quite a black powder SA, a 1902 44-40 is still a desirable SA. Except for the smokeless black powder frame, all other parts are of black powder configuration ... the rifling, the small front sight, and the hammer knurling. The transition of these parts to smokeless started with the hammer in 1907, the sight and the rifling around 1912. The last two can vary until 1915, as remaining parts were used up...first in, last out...Charles Layson

·
Registered
18 Posts
While not quite a black powder SA, a 1902 44-40 is still a desirable SA. Except for the smokeless black powder frame, all other parts are of black powder configuration ... the rifling, the small front sight, and the hammer knurling. The transition of these parts to smokeless started with the hammer in 1907, the sight and the rifling around 1912. The last two can vary until 1915, as remaining parts were used up...first in, last out...Charles Layson
Also, the odd position of the trigger may be due to the top of it being broken off, where it engages the hammer. when the top breaks, the trigger sits further forward in the trigger guard.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for everyone's support and input. I think this going to be a treasure and hopefully a start to a larger collection. I have been wanting a Colt SAA ever since I read my first Louis Lamour novel in the late 1970s. But life has a way of putting other priorities in front of us. Once I get my garage built, I hope to start building log furniture again which should sell like hotcakes here in Prescott. If that works out, I will be adding to my small collection.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Congrats! It's a beauty!!

Reactions: Agarbers

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Congrats! I bet it looks better than the pictures. The pics are low resolution with a lot of glare but you can still tell the markings are crisp and there are a bit of case colors on part of the frame. I bet it looks real good in person.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Well bought! I think that’s a lot of condition, configuration and caliber for a very good price.
Congratulations!
Best of luck with the business and the collection.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Well done!
It looks like it's in good shape on the outside and any problems on the inside can be fixed by a couple of guys on here!!

·
Registered
312 Posts
That's a great deal on that gun, it's a very moderately used gun compared to a lot of first gen guns of that era. I bet it was dropped some time in the past and had to have a couple parts replaced just to get it going and still needs a little work. That was made during the height of first gen production, I hold SAA's in the 1899 to 1911 range in high regard as far as workmanship and materials (steel and machine tools improved a lot from beginning of production until then)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts