Colt Forum banner

81 - 100 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Funny you should say front room . That's what has been to me all my life . Now days its the living room . I live outside , kitchen or shop , no particular order .

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
When I went to school all the desks we sat in had inkwells for the ink pens.
And left handers were probably encouraged to write with their right hands? The advent of such as ball point pens finally allowed left handers to do their thing!

·
Registered
137 Posts
while identifying some of that old farm machinery, the most common, and useful one of them all, seems to have been overlooked. The manure spreader, or as we lovingly called the 'Turd-hearse'. Another item that I remember was, the 1/2" thick, wool felt boots, worn inside of knee length rubber boots, or 'Gum boots' as our folks called them. Those wool 'felt boots' were used to keep feet warm in cold weather. Along those lines, I remember the wool 'trapdoor long johns' underwear we wore, in winter, while trading itch etc., for warmth. Their trapdoor feature was designed to enable one to use toilets, and outhouses, without complete removal of the long johns. I still have a pair of 'em, that I wore in later years, while riding my motorcycles in cold, weather.

·
Registered
137 Posts
When I went to school all the desks we sat in had inkwells for the ink pens.
My first grade school room had those desks with inkwells in them. I remember that on my first day of school, the girl that sat in the desk, in front of mine, had long, black pig tails, that fell back on top of my desk., tempting me. I remember that I couldn't resist temptation, and dipped one of her pigtails into my inkwell, and naturally, the ink slopped all over my desktop, and the pigtail owner's back, causing an unbelievable hullabaloo, followed by my receiving a thrashing, that I'll never forget. That girl didn't hold a grudge, and became a lifelong friend.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I got my first swats in 4th grade . The school was right next to a small corner grocery store and at recess we wandered , nobody cared. I found a pack of Virginia Slims on the ground and handed them all out to the guys , I didn't smoke and they were free. Well the principle got wind of the doings and I paid the price . I would bet to this day if he were alive . he still wouldn't believe I found them .He beat my bottom with the paddle for bringing them . That was a start of , watch how you phrase things to people that have power over you .

·
Registered
567 Posts
At times I have to fly into our 3rd world villages here in the state still . We call them honey buckets . Walk a short distance , toss in the hole , let it freeze until spring .

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
We started every day at school with The National Anthem, The Pledge of allegiance , and Prayer. Every class room had a Flag hanging front and center, and a Bible on the teachers desk. We were better and stronger for it.
For certain we were better for all of that. I recall teacher Mrs. McCartney asking us to memorize the Christmas Story (Matt 1) for recital in 1st grade class 1952. There were two Jewish kids in that class. They were excused to the libary during our recital. No teacher fired, no principal fired, no superintendent of schools fired in Alice, TX over this!! We all "got along" just fine.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
We started every day at school with The National Anthem, The Pledge of allegiance , and Prayer. Every class room had a Flag hanging front and center, and a Bible on the teachers desk. We were better and stronger for it.
You mentioned the pledge of allegiance,did u know it was changed just after Pres. Roosevelt declared war on Japan,Italy & Germany?in school we used to start the pledge w/our right hand over our heart & say "I pledge allegiance to the flag" & on the word flag we would extend our right arm up towards the flag the same way the Germans did their salute so that was eliminated & the right hand was kept over the heart like it still is now.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Do people remember windmills?

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Do people remember windmills?
I had a windmill next door, and still recall the tink tink tink sounds it made. We also had a water well, but it pumped with a short stroke electric rod pump. Completed at about 280', and visitors always said our water tasted better than city water.

Reactions: krag96

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
I have my water hauled in,I have 3 large holding tanks.Some people out here have wells but most of us have hauled water,the water table out here is pretty far down & drilling a well out here is expensive

81 - 100 of 101 Posts