Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a nice 1861 Navy--- Serial numbers all match 11XXX, my question is, below the serial number in each case there is a number "2", is this an inspectors number ?
would this make it a Government purchased pistol ? New to the site thanks for any help.

·
Premium Member
4,398 Posts
Welcome to the forum dmark58. I've never really learned much about the percussion models but I have heard it said that sometimes when these revolvers were shipped as pairs you would see a 2 on one of them. I saw a 1851 model the other day that had an extra 4 stamped on all the parts so I don't know if that theory holds or not. Every now and then you'll see an "I" or an "E" or both which normally means Ivory or engraved from what I understand.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
The answer is not known for sure, but the most likely bet is that the number is an inspector's mark.

As Coltsixguns stated, one theory has been that the number represented a pair of revolvers shipped together. The problem with this is that you would think you would see a similar quantity of guns stamped "1", but such is not the case. Another theory is that it signifies a duplicate serial number.

So, take your pick, but my money is on an inspector's mark :)

John Gross

1 - 5 of 5 Posts