Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,119 Posts
You can look online at brand books by-state. But you will most likely only find current registered brands.
And the brand can be sheep, cattle or horse and can be different owners of the same looking brand but used on different parts of the animals body. Ie; shoulder or hind quarter.

·
Registered
250 Posts
The guys posting so far are correct, stupid as it is, a brand registered in one jurisdiction can be registered by someone else and used in another perfectly legal, as is the case for location on the animal, type of stock its registered for etc etc... but being that "Yuma" is engraved and looks pretty old in itself, best bet is to go straight to Arizona's brand & ranch history books for answers.

I once searched our own brand out of curiosity, it's been ours for 70-80 years, and even still I found it registered elsewhere, identical! Initially I thought it was worth reporting as fraud and serious concern, until I was informed that provincial, state and cross-border registrations aren't compiled or intertwined as a universal be-all end-all type record keeping. Which I guess explains pretty good why rustlers tend to run stolen cattle to rings and sales far away from where they pick 'em and often are able to get away with it!

Anyway.. all bs aside & either way, yours looks like a real interesting Colt. I like reading on these ones.

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
I attempted to look up the brand for a duplicate and description with no luck in the Missouri Brand Registry just for grins. I would look in the states's brand registry where you think the gun came from. I would start in the T's, but in western states that could be extensive. Good luck - interesting thread for me, thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,119 Posts
How about an archive letter?
If it was shipped to AZ that might be enough enticement to buy it.
A letter could help to pin point the vacinity and you could start from there.

A brand could be registered for 80 years or the owner not renew after the initial registration.
My friends family has 5 separate brands: his, his wife’s and their 3 kids...so a ranch doesn’t have to be sizable for someone to be intrigued by the idea of having one.

Its a nice looking gun.
The scarring and pitting on the cylinder does match the frame so I’m more inclined to say it’s the way it’s always been. If you rotate the cylinder 1/4 turn it should line up and match better. For picture purposes your friend most likely used “it’s best side”
The stop notches look like they could have been deepened, but that’s unlikely.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts