Colt Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi this pistol was from my Grandfather. I don't know anything about it. He served WWII and stormed the beaches in the first wave. Closest I have found is a Flobert or German target pistol. There are no markings that I see. It appears to be a rim fire.

·
Banned
15,890 Posts
These were once popular in Europe where they were known as "Parlor Pistols".
They were actually often used in parlors to do informal target practice, usually into a target placed in the fire place to act as a "bullet" stop.

I say "bullet" because these were more on the order of a pellet gun that used a tiny primer charge in the cartridge as the propellant.
These were made in many European countries with quality ranging from poor to excellent quality examples.
These were sold in just about any type of store, including tobacco shops and barber shops.

Value is usually not high. Ammunition is often of a size that's long obselete and no longer available.
Even if it will chamber, NEVER attempt to fire any real ammo. Some may chamber the .22 short but even this is more then the guns were made for.

·
Registered
10,001 Posts
The German name was/is 'Zimmerscheutzen' - 'Kitchen Pistol' - they used a 5mm Flobert round - like our .22CB Cap.

They have little value in 'nice' shape - more of a curiosity, than anything else.

As to finding a definite match - I really doubt that's going to happen.

There were far, far too many makers, and it was a vary simple action to build - either in Germany or Belgium.

Use a 'Big 45 Frontier Metal Cleaner' pad to remove the rust safely - then oil it, and find a shadow box.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info everyone. It helps a lot! My wife gets mad when I shoot into the fire place! Haha. Imagine the good old days!

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
Flobert has become something of a generic name for simple breech loading pistols (some long guns too) but a true Flobert has no breech closure. The cartridge head is open to the world until the hammer falls. In place of breech blockage, it has a massively heavy hammer that has the firing pin as a part of it. The heavy hammer provides breech closure for its very low powered cartridge.

Yours is primitive breech loading pistol of break open design, probably as others have said, intended for indoor amusement shooting.

There were countless designs & configurations by as many makers in mid 1800s which makes ID & source unlikely. Yours probably once was a handsome piece, considering the detail of its stock, etc.

Here's another one the same comments apply to except it is percussion ignition, barrel breaks down & the little breech block bearing the nipple hinges sideways. I was probably best to shoot the .31 cal perc paper cartridge.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Flobert has become something of a generic name for simple breech loading pistols (some long guns too) but a true Flobert has no breech closure. The cartridge head is open to the world until the hammer falls. In place of breech blockage, it has a massively heavy hammer that has the firing pin as a part of it. The heavy hammer provides breech closure for its very low powered cartridge.

Yours is primitive breech loading pistol of break open design, probably as others have said, intended for indoor amusement shooting.

There were countless designs & configurations by as many makers in mid 1800s which makes ID & source unlikely. Yours probably once was a handsome piece, considering the detail of its stock, etc.

Here's another one the same comments apply to except it is percussion ignition, barrel breaks down & the little breech block bearing the nipple hinges sideways. I was probably best to shoot the .31 cal perc paper cartridge.

What is with the 3 indents on the breech break on mine?

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
Not that I might have the answer but I don't ID your meanings of '3 indents' & 'breech break'. Maybe I'm lacking something but I can't see 'indents' or 3 of anything.

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
Your definition of 'indent' must be different from mine, which is something like " indent = a depression in an otherwise undisturbed surface" -- which is probably close to that of a dictionary.

That said, the only thing (not 3) that comes close is the circular recess that surrounds the bore, the purpose of which is to provide space for the head of the cartridge, which is larger than the cylindrical part of the cartridge case.

If my above stab at ID didn't get it, in order to end what is becoming a charade, maybe you could post a picture with arrows pointing to the ' 3 indents' to insure accurate communication.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Not that I might have the answer but I don't ID your meanings of '3 indents' & 'breech break'. Maybe I'm lacking something but I can't see 'indents' or 3 of anything.
In his next to last picture it shows the barrel face and there are 3 indentions there. Imagine a .22 Rimfire being dry fired and the firing pin left marks on the barrel.

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
OK 'indent' ID'ed OK. The middle one is approx. where a rimfire firing pin would strike a BB cap. No explanation why and it would/could take a lot of over-travel of the firing pin to indent the chamber edge. No logical explanation why 3, unless both overtravel and very loose-worn breech existed. From what I see of your other pix, the gun does not show advanced wear..

I've about exhausted my guesswork. I haven't seen the set-trigger mentioned, which further confirms its quality & intent for target shooting. The little knob just behind the trigger with cross-drilled holes is for adjusting the trigger sensitivity.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I haven't seen the set-trigger mentioned, which further confirms its quality & intent for target shooting. The little knob just behind the trigger with cross-drilled holes is for adjusting the trigger sensitivity.
I have messed with that and it does indeed adjust trigger pull.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts