Colt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in shooting IDPA with a Colt revolver. Is there a specific model which would be better suited to the task? I realize these are no longer in production and I would not want to ruin a collectors item yet would love to use one. I was thinking along the lines of a Trooper.

Thanks

·
Registered
50 Posts
Mark,

A King Cobra would be fine as would most D Frames with at least a 3 inch barrel as IDPA is typically shot at pretty short distances. The Trooper would be fine if you're a pretty big guy or even an Official Police if inclined to the "classic" look. HKS does make speed loaders for D Frames and other recent models but those have the nasty little knob you have to turn. Safariland speed loaders are much preferred for competition, especially the Comp 3's or at least the Comp 2's. In the case of Colt revolvers, Safariland has Comp 2's that fit Trooper's, Official Police, King Cobra's, etc. The complete list is here - http://www.safariland.com/info/willfit/speedloaders_dg.pdf

Last but not least, finding an "IDPA legal" holster is going to take some effort. A cheap Fobus holster designed for a K/L frame S&W might work but to get a good fit you're going to have to do some looking.

I gotta tell you, in 5 years of shooting IDPA with both revolvers and bottom feeders, I have never seen anyone shoot a Colt. Although I do shoot ICORE with a guy that used a six inch Python occasionally.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I just bought a six inch Trooper MKIII and I doubt I could get it into IDPA, but plan to shoot it in PPC. Nelson still makes the break front holsters for revolvers and they are very similar to the Hoyt holster I first used with my original Trooper. The draw is very natural and you can be on target very fast.

John

·
Registered
582 Posts
I've had good success in IDPA with my old .357 Model, often referred to as an "early Trooper", which is the I frame version similar to the Python.
I discovered by accident that Safariland Comp III K-frame speedloaders work just fine in this particular gun and are very, very fast. In fact, with practice, your reloads will come almost into autoloader range.
Plus, these never drop rounds on the ground and the huge handle gives you a very accurate run into the holes with the new ones. They're spring-loaded and squirt the rounds into the chambers reliably. It's true that the chamber center geometry on the K-model loader isn't perfect, but they work, at least for me in this gun.
You can always use the almost-as-good Comp IIs specifically for Pythons, but they're a little slower. If the IIIs don't work for you and your gun, this is the answer. I have to say any other loading system just won't do it. You won't keep up with a good 625 shooter, but the difference isn't huge.
I'd suggest the use of the matching 3-loader carrier Safariland sells, too, since it's faster and more secure than any other carrier. Since IDPA rules actually require that you only carry two speedloaders on your belt (more in the pockets if you want, and you should), you simply use the rearmost of the three for the starting fillup.
If you're not already doing so, make yourself learn to carry your reloads on the left hip, and load with the left hand while holding the cylinder open with your trigger finger pushing through the frame. Jerry says so.
IDPA limits you to four-inchers or less, so this is a good size.
I'm faster and more accurate with this gun than any of my K-frames.
Here's the rig with a Rob Leahy "Simply Rugged" holster that I just love. The stocks are heavily modified Hogue in tulipwood. The color made me laugh when I bought them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for all the replies. Would a 4" Lawman work? I am not as smart on Colt revolvers as I should be. My dealer has a like new Lawman which I have considered but would prefer an enclosed ejector rod.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I'm no expert on IDPA but I can't see why a 4" Lawman wouldn't work. It's the same action and same frame as the MKIII Trooper somebody already suggested and its extremely similar to the King Cobra. The enclosed ejector rod is on the S&W's because the rod is used to help lock up the cylinder. For a Colt the shrouded ejector rod is largely a cosmetic thing. It's your money which look do you prefer? Just my two cents worth.

Dave

1 - 7 of 7 Posts