Colt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If a cylinder on a revolver is loose, can it be tightened. My OP cylinder, on part of the rotation, tends to lean into the force cone. The gunsmiths that are looking at it said that the binding problem might be solved by shaving a little off the cone and the cylinder front. But that wouldn't be my first choice as it would widen the gap (even by a tad) between cone and cylinder. I told the lead smith today that it looked like to me that the cylinder was leaning into the cone causing hard binding when the gun got hot (after 20-30 rounds). He said that it could be due to wear on the cylinder or crane as it was loose. Can the cylinder and crane be tightened in anyway? Why would the cylinder be leaning into the cone on one side but not the other, it is rotating on the same axis, wouldn't it be doing it on all 6 chambers and not just one side of 3?

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Re: If cylinder is loose on revolver, can it be ti

Just have to give you a response even though it is not definitive. Your overall problem would be best addressed by dfariswheel. I would, however, make two suggestions. Replace your gunsmiths at least when it comes to Colts and buy yourself the book "The Double Action Colt Revolvers, A Shop Manual, Vol. 1" by Jerry Kuhnhausen from Brownell's, Midway, Amazon, BAMM, wherever. Even though many procedures cannot be performed without correct tooling and some experience, it will give you a real leg up on problems and solutions. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,686 Posts
As above, on Colt revolvers, trusting a local gunsmith is a real crap shoot.
VERY few people today understand the older Colt's, and allowing them to work on one usually winds up causing more damage, and still not fixing the original problem.

To be clear: Colt revolvers are TOTALLY unlike S&W, Ruger or any other brand of revolver. The repair procedures that are used on them will often destroy a Colt, and vise versa.

My suggestion is this. If you want your Colt PROPERLY diagnosed and fixed RIGHT, send it to:
Pittsburgh Handgun Headquarters
1330 Center Ave.
Pittsburgh, PA 15229
(412) 766-6100

The only reason not to send it to the Colt factory is, I think Colt is no longer working on these older models, due to lack of parts.

Pittsburgh has the parts, and as a former factory repair service, they do true factory level repairs.

Prices are usually as good as a local, and turn around is also good.

Above all else, they'll fix it RIGHT the first time.

As to the actual problem, it sounds very much like a sprung crane.
"Cutting the rear of the barrel and front of the cylinder" as recommended by your local gunsmith, is exactly the kind of thing I warned about locals doing.
This is a quick way to destroy a Colt.

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Re: If cylinder is loose on revolver, can it be ti

[ QUOTE ]
As to the actual problem, it sounds very much like a sprung crane.

[/ QUOTE ]
You made my day.....I mean night. That would have been my first guess if I were so bold. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If they tell me they can't straighten it out without shaving anything off, then I think I might send it to cylinder and slide. It has already been to PHH and they didn't spot it the first time.
I have already sent my DS to PHH and they weren't able to do anything with the barrel because they didn't have the wrench.
Cylinder and Slide is starting to look like a good option

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, I just got off the phone with them and told them that I would rather NOT cut any metal away from the gun. I told them that if the problem was not obvious and can be corrected by bending something back as it obviously should be for instance than to call and let me know. Once you start cutting metal away there is no going back.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts